What Computer do you use for Photoshop?

• Mac

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Intel

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • AMD

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters
Gotcha Kodan. I'm not a fan of AMD and would rather spend the extra money (And it's not that much into the entire system cost), for Intel, because of the reliability. They don't run as hot, and there is no need for a giant case consuming fan and heatsync.

I had a bad experience with an AMD chip years ago that really just turned me off to the company.

Chroix: I work at an all digital pro photo studio which is 100% pc / Windows Xp. The days of Mac only for professional use are over. PCs are equal in stability and reliability, when used professionaly.

G4 1.25 mdd 512 ram 160 gig HD.

Although she needs more ram. Tis fine for Pshop work, but maybe in a year I will upgrade to a G5 (when the 3ghz models are out) Then get hold of Tiger (OS 10.4) Which will be native 64 bit software, although I would have to wait a bit longer for Pshop and my other apps to go 64 bit at least I would have the equipment ready for when it does...

OSX is a great operating system - stable Unix and no viruses, I even rate it above Linux for stability now...

Digital Matt said:
Gotcha Kodan. I'm not a fan of AMD and would rather spend the extra money (And it's not that much into the entire system cost), for Intel, because of the reliability. They don't run as hot, and there is no need for a giant case consuming fan and heatsync.

I had a bad experience with an AMD chip years ago that really just turned me off to the company.

Chroix: I work at an all digital pro photo studio which is 100% pc / Windows Xp. The days of Mac only for professional use are over. PCs are equal in stability and reliability, when used professionaly.

Digital Matt I run my AMD in a shuttle case... there is no internal fan... just an ICE cooling system which consists of a big block of alu bolted to the proc that runs heat pipes to a fin system and fan in the back of the case and my pc doesn't run hot... even with my 9800 requiring it's own fan to cool the processor.

"The days of Mac only for professional use are over. PCs are equal in stability and reliability, when used professionaly."

That's cool. Don't get a G5.

Another Intel user here. I'm using a P4 2.4 with 512MB of RAM. If I could build the one I want, I'd have to get one o' them dual 3.2Ghz Xeon dealios. :mrgreen:

i use P4 3.4 toshiba laptop with 512 ram. should i bump anything to handle PS better? i generally don't have problems with PS, however it will stall occasionally. desktop has better specs but my wife hogs it.

Jon, more ram always helps photoshop. Since you are on a laptop you are kind of limited to what upgrades you can do yourself, and cheaply. Having a second hd and setting your scratch disk to that volume will speed things up as well, but I don't know if you can even have multiple hard drives in a laptop.

PS is a RAM hog. You could bump that up a bit and you wouldn't hang up any more. :twisted: (that's if you can convince the wife) :D

Dell Dimension 8400, P4/3G Hz, 1G memory, 200G HD, WinXP Pro.

eMachine 1.8GHz Celeron, because it was cheap. but it's also painfully slow.
i upgraded my RAM to 1GB. and I just put in a new 120GB hard drive.

AMD here aswell, although I stopped getting into the AMD/Intel/Mac debate a while ago, seeing as how today's highly competitive market means noone will be on top for more than a month or two. I give AMD some credit for that... forcing Intel to finally put the price inline with performance, as they seem to have done now.

Custom built system, only for the fact that nobody's building what I want! Dell still refuses to offer a single system with an AMD option... nice; the largest personal computer retailer in the world, selling only systems powered by the largest personal CPU company in the world! So many choices for those who can't build there own... tsk tsk.

AMD Althlon64 3200+ s939 (90nm core)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
1gig OCZ PC3500
Geforce 6600GT 128mb DD3
combined 190gig Max/WD 7200rpm / 16xDualLayer LG
Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse Highly Recommended!

Pretty damn fast in PS... although I'd still like a few minutes on chroix's G5 :drool:

AMD 3200+ 512MB Samsung 19" CRT, Radeon X800 Pro, 160GB SATA and 250GB SATA... new NEC 3250A 16x dual layer DVDRW

Most reactions

Back