What computer would you buy?

I find the OEM version of windows work a lot better than the customized windows that comes with HP, Dell, etc. I had a desktop with the OEM full install cd and it ran well had hardly any problems, except for video drivers once in a while.

@ the guy who said Mac hardware works better together, thats not really true. Apple uses intel and nvidia just like windows based pcs. If you build your own computer, there is a whole barrage of hardware to choose from. You just have to be knowledgeable about what goes together and buy the best quality you can afford.

With apple your paying like $1200 for the operating system and $800 for hardware and for some fine polished design. I've thought of getting a mac laptop as I like to try new operating systems. But its ridicules how they charge for $999 bucks for the basic macbook with some old core 2 duo processor from some basement box and a small 13" screen. Have spend like $2000 just to get a mid grade intel i5 processor, what the heck lol.

i agree that hp are reliable - the best laptops are Thinkpads - i'd recommend X series

@ the guy who said Mac hardware works better together, thats not really true. Apple uses intel and nvidia just like windows based pcs. If you build your own computer, there is a whole barrage of hardware to choose from. You just have to be knowledgeable about what goes together and buy the best quality you can afford.

I don't know if that was directed at me or not, since I was advocating for the Mac, but:

The reason the claims are made that Mac hardware works well together is because Apple is a one-stop-shop. Ignoring the stability of Unix vs. Windows, by controlling the hardware firmware and drivers, Apple can ensure that only the highest quality hardware/software integration happens on their platform.

If you want an open system that will accept any hardware you want right off the shelf, by all means, get a Windows-based PC. A Mac will NOT work for you. But, if like a lot of people, you don't care about needing to decide between 200 video cards, 150 network cards, and 50 raid controllers, I would ditch the swiss cheese of a Windows platform for the Mac platform in a heartbeat.

Consider my experience:

-Over the last year, my Windows 7 installation on my Mac Pro has not crashed once (all drivers are written by Apple for everything, video, audio, I/O, etc. The BIOS -> EFI translation to allow Windows to run on Mac hardware was also written by Apple, obviously).

-Over the last year, my Windows 7 generic PC has crashed probably 10+ times (bad drivers, corrupt Windows files, a virus)

-Over the last year, both my Mac OS installations have crashed twice (1 each). Both were results of Adobe Flash.

Everyone's mileage will vary. My mileage points me towards a Mac, every time.

Has to be a desktop cuz I already have a laptop. GO!

But I do prefer a laptop as my main station for editing - doesn't mean that you already have one, that you can't justify it for your needs :razz: . I use the ASUS G73 i7 w/ 8 gig of RAM. Editing photos outdoors in the office's yard with the fire pit lit and my feet up just doesn't justify a desktop. When I'm back in the editing room I have it connected to the wireless docking station and it acts just like a desktop. For editing photos I don't see the advantage anymore for a powerful desktops - laptops are sufficient enough for this function. Also if you have clients a laptop comes in handy for show n tell.

As far as Mac vs PC I've used and owned both - I just don't see the price justification for Macs regarding my workflow. I haven't had any issues myself with PC's but maybe because I'm very involved in the maintenance.

I had the hard drive wiped, it is running again.

If wiping the hard drive fixes a computer problem, the problem was in all likelihood not related to the hardware! If it was hardware related the problem would return on the fresh OS install. Anything you can fix with a reformat is either a result of the shortcomings of the Windows OS, or user error.

Suppose in should have mentioned that it started shutting down within a few months because it was overheating. It was fixed and now I have to use a cooling fan under it to stop it from overheating and shutting down. I was stuck in hotel room working to burn all my shoot onto dvds while I had the laptop sitting on the air conditioning unit. Dell is swell. Even with a new OS it is still a problem.

Thank you for such a clear answer.....it's taken me a long time to find something as clear as this! Very helpful :)

Most reactions

Back