What did he do?

stigma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
*Edited*

So after doing some browsing, there's a style of photography (post-processing really) that I've come to love and want to do. I need all the help I can get to help make my photos look like these photographers': www.jeremycowart.com and www.davehillphoto.com.

They both have this HDR look to them, without having to use HDR. I don't know how else to describe it.

Aside from lighting techniques, I'm more interested in the post processing that went into that using CS2. If you can tell me how to achieve that "look" then please do. Or, recommend me a teach-yourself website or a good book/article that I can buy.

Thanks!

Looks like it's mostly the lighting they used, less so any photoshop magic. I've seen some pictures like that produced with no heavy editing.

You'd have to mess around near dusk with a couple flashes. One pointed at the model, and one or two up at the building to fill and lighten the shadows up.

Just a guess.

The effect, from what I can gather, is underexposing a very bright and carefully lit scene. I'm working with very poor, improvised lighting on my d50, and can't get the same evenness to it. With brighter lights, it should just be a matter of time and practice.

The Jeremy Cowart and Dave Hill image look very different to me. The first looks more like lighting, and at times the contrast and color are actually a little muted. The latter looks very much like post processing (in addition to good lighting), with high contrast and saturation to the point of looking like an illustration.

They are different in their own ways. But they do have an element in common: the element of their pictures being an "illustration". It has the "fake" look, if you will. Anyway, I know what I'm seeing. I want to know how to get my pictures there.

The "fake" look is the result of studio lighting being brought outside into the natural light. You get the controlled highlight and shadow of studio lighting, with the gritty backgrounds of the real world, illuminated by natural light. The mix of the two lighting scenarios creates a dichotomy that appears unnatural to our eyes. Supernatural even. Surreal. It's what makes pop stars and models seem larger than life. Perfect lighting everywhere you go.

It is basic glamour lighting with some photoshop added for the fake look. But you can't get there without the lighting. Gary Bernstein is a pro at it.

Agreed with Digital Matt. Photography= photo(light) + graphy(writing) He's almost as clever as me or fmw ;)

Most reactions

Back