What do I need for OCF?

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I believe the main factor is cost.

Typically ..

- Multiple flashes (Single is fine too)
- Reflectors (It is helpful especially for single flash)
- Flash stand(s)
- Hotshoe / umbrella holder(s) that can mount of the light stand.
- Umbrella or softbox (You can use bare flash or bare flash with diffusion panels as well)
- Flash triggers. Canon st-e2 transmitter, optical trigger with on camera flash or I prefer radio trigger.
- Light meter, it is helpful but you can do it without (trial and error -> experience)

Personally, I have the following.

- Multiple Vivitar 285HV flashes
- 4 light stands (and one cross bar that can turn 2 light stands into a backdrop holder)
- Multiple flash hotshoe / umbrella light stand holders
- Few white shoot through umbrella and couple silver/black reflective umbrella
- One flash softbox (I think it is over 3 feet wide)
- Cheap PT-04 radio triggers made by Youngnuo. Thinking of upgrading to Cactus V5.
- One White/silver/gold/black all in one type reflector (I think it is about 4 ft diameter)

And of course, research online and make sure strobist 101 page is on the research list.

Looks like most has been covered , I will suggest some type of weight (sand bag) to keep the stand and gear from falling over. Know the forum has recommended an ankle weight from walmart that will do for about 10 bucks.
If you want something a little more on the photo side , look into the 10# Boa Bag.
-
These guys sell alot of stuff for strobist: Strobist® Kits - STROBIST® MPEX
but know you can pick up most of the gear locally I'm sure. Just think about it first etc.
Stands: one can think lightweight stands to be able to carry around as well as air cushioned stands that do not beat up the gear when you release it to go down.
-
Shoot well, Joe

ankle weight?? Brilliant! Going to go get one. Is it enough for an umbrella on not so windy day?

ankle weight?? Brilliant! Going to go get one. Is it enough for an umbrella on not so windy day?
-
Believe KMH had a link to a particular model on here somewhere. On a really windy day I would lay the camera bag on one of the legs as well to play it safe.
-
shoot well, joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back