What do photographers get paid?

Actually, it's better than I expected. Most of the periodicals in my area, even the larger ones, don't pay for images at all, unless it's a BIG story. Staff photographers are a thing of the past - they expect to get all their imagery donated by the cell-phone set simply for the honour of having it published.

Wow, but some really famous photographers are rich as hell :)
My first post here :))!!

"Welcome to thephotoforum Coolmoments"

Digital killed the industry for many?

It's like every creative field. Graphic and web designers have also taken a hit with every mom with elements thinking they are a graphic designer.

Digital killed the Analog star...

of course...im sure all the wet plate photographers felt the same way when roll film was invented. F$&^#$ cheaters.

Digital killed the Analog star...

of course...im sure all the wet plate photographers felt the same way when roll film was invented. F$&^#$ cheaters.

Imagine how the snake oil salesmen felt when penicillin was invented!

Getting paid in a reasonable amount of time has been a problem since the mid 1980's. Since those days I have always padded my expenses by 20% to even out the playing field. Many ad agencies pay you on the books promptly but put the monies in a special account to pay you 90 days out.... This is common practice, even today. I pad my bill to allow for this game where they earn the interest on "your" money. The ad business is where the money is..... Forget editorial, you will starve.

It's like every creative field. Graphic and web designers have also taken a hit with every mom with elements thinking they are a graphic designer.

icon10.gif

Shooting editorial stuff is not a good way to make a living wage. One has to be very well informed and very choosy who they will shoot for.

It seems to me that a lot of today's editorial images are sub-standard.

No doubt, the digital camera revolution is a major contributing factor to the decline of editorial photography as a desirable profession.

Most reactions

Back