What do you think of this for Macro?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I just ordered my Sigma 180mm F/3.5 EX DG HSM APO Macro (Woah! Thats alot of acronyms!). I am now on the hunt for a suitable tripod should I decide I want to do video or long exposures. I don't have $200-600 to spend on a tripod..I may be ordering an R1 kit as well. What do you think about this one:

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

I like the fact that you can insert the camera mount upside down and get almost ontop of the action. It has 300 of what I would call good reviews..and roughly 40 bad reviews. So, I figured Id ask here.

Thanks!
Mark

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Im not sure about that tripod but I know with macro especially at 1:1 any hint of vibration can be seen. I have a vista tripod which looks similar but has a pan head and works fairly decent with macro but I use a shutter release and zoom in 5x and wait for the vibration to go away. Hope this helps.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Quite insightful..thank you.

Id love to hear more opinions on the tripod I actually listed.
If this is a no-go, what are some other alternatives up to $250 including the head?

Mark

My advice - go for the R1 kit or the tripod and sink your money into only one option for now - and then save for the other. A poor tripod and head setup really shows with macro work a lot.

For tripod work I'd recommend:

Tripod head: Manfrotto Junior Geared head - almost the standard tripod head for macro which suffers no drooping (all ball heads will have this once you're into 1:1 territory). This really is one of the best options.

Focusing rail - ebay focusing rail or adorama focusing rail (both the same) for a cheap, but very effective rail. Next level up is novoflex which (new) will cost you more than the tripod head above - so I tend to treat them as the luxury option

Legs - I don't know. But I will say that the manfrotto 055XPROB centre column setup sounds neat, but in practice I find it pointless mostly. The head just can't be out anywhere away from the middle because the arm will wobble uncontrollably. Furthermore it sets your tripod head at a 90degree angle which messes up framing at times.
You can put the middle in upside down to get low, but personally I would do some research into a set of Gitzo carbon fibre legs with a good low height and strong support (because you know you'll want them for wildlife as well later)

Quite insightful..thank you.

Id love to hear more opinions on the tripod I actually listed.
If this is a no-go, what are some other alternatives up to $250 including the head?

Mark

lol, it was good advice... my opinion on that tripod was implied. Someone that has several Macro lenses, like yourself, needs something more than a $50 tripod. And in you're first post, you said you didnt have $200 to spend... so saving money would have been the advice. Since your upping the budget to $250... I would recommend the tripod that I chose for around the same budget, the SLIK 580DX.

Slik Pro 580DX Tripod with 3-Way Head 615-580 B&H Photo Video

The reason I chose this tripod is that it has a minimum height of only 13.8" which is perfect for ground level macro. This was lower than most of the other tripods I looked at at the time. At the same time, it also has a max height that is suitable for normal use.

I'm currently looking into a few manfrotto models that say they get to something like 10cm. I dont see how that is much possible, but it can't be too much worse. And Ive never heard anything bad about manfrotto. Thanks for the link though. I will definately look into it!

Mark

Look for a leg set that has 2-3x times the weight capacity of your camera and lens. This is to cover things like sand bag (help control vibrations from wind, off center mounting), extension tubes, focusing rail, flashes, etc... Quite a few leg sets have a weight hook. A weight helps steady things, especially if you do get a leg set with off center capabilities. I have an older Manfrotto Carbon one with 90deg capability and use it with macro. As mentioned above with that weight off center. A sand bag helps steady things.

As for a tripod head. If you don't already have one. Grab a good 3-way head. I hate using a ball head with macro. Just a pain to get centered up and down. I have a Adorama focusing rail and love it. For the price its hard to beat. And again get a head rated 2-3x your body / lens weight.

A geared head would be the best choice but a 3-way head will work fine until you start getting closer than 2:1 or so. Plus you can use it for general photography.

If you don't already have one. Grab an inexpensive remote release off ebay. They work fine and are only like $10.

The thing with macro is to keep vibrations to a minimum. So you don't want to go too lightweight with the gear. And of course the remote release and mirror up helps as well.

My macro gear is D300 bodies, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro, Kenko extension tubes, Adorama focusing rail, Nikon R1 set with 4 SB-R200's, Phoenix ring light, bellows, Diopter filter set, lens reversing rings, Carbon One legs with 3-way head.

Last edited:
Quite an impressive setup youve got there! How do you like the R1 kit? I can't decide to get that or the tripod. I suppose if I got the R1 kit, I wouldn't need a tripod..but I'll still need it when not using the R1.

Mark

Quite an impressive setup youve got there! How do you like the R1 kit? I can't decide to get that or the tripod. I suppose if I got the R1 kit, I wouldn't need a tripod..but I'll still need it when not using the R1.

Mark

Actually I say tripod and head before a flash set up. Even though a flash will freeze a scene. When you really start getting close to a subject. You gonna want to have a steady camera just so you can frame the shot the way you want. Also when your that close and your trying to get focus on the smallest of things, your gonna want to manual focus / use a rail.

The R1 kit is nice, just before Christmas I added the 2 additional SB-R200's so I could have the maximum of 4 on the end of the lens (Nikon lists how many you can have on the end of each lens). Not sure but I would think the Sigma could hold 4 as well, maybe more (though I think 4 is enough, as 2 was pretty good). The only pain with the R1 / SB-R200's is the batteries. They use the small 123A batteries. I buy them in bulk on ebay and that saves quite a bit. They do make some rechargeables but their voltage is slightly lower. So, still hesitant on that.

But I say get a good tripod and head first. I think you will get more use out if it over the R1 kit.

Just a FYI. If you want a super macro set up. Buy a couple inexpensive stacking rings. Mount your 35mm backwards in front of your 105. You will get 3:1. I have never done it to a big lens like the 180 you have comming. But the 35 in front of it will be just a bit more than 5:1. :drool: Just need nice bright light and it works very well. And the rings are like $10 or so. I like stacking much better than Diopters. And its quite a bit cheaper than extension tubes (AF ones anyway).

I stack a 28mm in front of my 105 for 4:1 igve or take (also 35mm 3:1 and 50mm 2:1). Focusing rail is a must for that!

Last edited:
The 180 came in today! I've never really thought of stacking..though I just may go for that!

Thanks for the advice on the R1 and tripod.
Mark

I was looking around on KEH and I noticed that the Bogen 3021 comes with a low-angle adapter that allows you to completely take out the center column and attach the head right to the tripod legs. This is something that got me very interested. It was replaced by the 055xrpob. Does this pod also have the low-angle adapter? Are there any other brands out there that do something similar?

Mark

Most reactions

Back