What does 'Alien Bees' gear mean to the photography world?

I won't be getting Alien Bees mainly because of their flash duration, and because I want something with more kick in it. I will be buying some of the supplies though, I already own an umbrella from them and love it. For me there are some better options out there.
I think you need to take a look at their new product line, the Einstein's.

I saw the internet release of the Einstein and trust me I'm excited, though you must remember that is not a part of the Alien Bees family. More of an Uncle, different line same producer.

I won't be getting Alien Bees mainly because of their flash duration, and because I want something with more kick in it. I will be buying some of the supplies though, I already own an umbrella from them and love it. For me there are some better options out there.

I saw the internet release of the Einstein and trust me I'm excited, though you must remember that is not a part of the Alien Bees family. More of an Uncle, different line same producer.
They are the next evolution of the original Bee's. They were originally called "ABMax" (Alien Bee Max) but when the digital power supply that was promised failed to materialize, they called it "Einstein". PCB had been talking about an improved Bee light for some time and tossed around a couple of different names.

So, yes it is a Bee. It's just the next evolution of the system.

Many have said that they cannot overpower the sun. Does that mean they have a really slow duration like 1/500th a second or less? Because it seems like a 320 w/s light should be able to over power the sun. Confundito. :shock:

It really depends on which model AB you are talking about. The weakest of the bunch, B400 has a flash duration of 1/6000. Next up we have the B800 at 1/3300 and the big boy B1600 at 1/1800.

Here is a nice little spread sheet set up by The Strobist Blog so you can really see the difference between a large amount of monolights, speedlights, and much more.
Strobist_FlashList

320w/s doesn't really cut it. It will take the sun down a lot, but it won't give you a solid night time shot. The B1600 will be able to control the sunlight without a problem, but than its flash duration is a bit annoying :| Honestly for most people, 320 will be enough since they won't be making day into the middle of night for their photos.

They are the next evolution of the original Bee's. They were originally called "ABMax" (Alien Bee Max) but when the digital power supply that was promised failed to materialize, they called it "Einstein". PCB had been talking about an improved Bee light for some time and tossed around a couple of different names.

So, yes it is a Bee. It's just the next evolution of the system.

Stop being a fanboy and arguing over pointless banter. Please its silly.
The topic is about the B400-B1600 products, even though it was not stated specifically it is obvious this is what the poster meant. They wanted to know more about the lights, not the new lights coming out, not the other products.

I like to believe I was being helpful in that I listed out everything about the lights, the good and the bad equally. I'm not taking a bias about the lights like you are, please try to understand that.

Paul C. Buff makes many great things, B400-1600 is great for what it is. Entry level strobes. I have many friends that own them, and I've been taught lighting with them. I see their flaws when put up against better quality lights.

I don't see how they are "obviously" not what the OP was talking about. I mean, the Einstein 640 is in the same relative price range as the Alien Bees are. It seems he was more asking about them and the company in general which would include the Einstein's.

The topic is about the B400-B1600 products, even though it was not stated specifically it is obvious this is what the poster meant. They wanted to know more about the lights, not the new lights coming out, not the other products.
You brought it up (the "pointless banter" topic), I didn't. Now you're calling names? Seriously, grow up a wee bit, please.

I like to believe I was being helpful in that I listed out everything about the lights, the good and the bad equally. I'm not taking a bias about the lights like you are, please try to understand that.
I haven't said anything that's bias. I've said nothing but my personal experience. Please point out a single "fanboy" statement I've made. Since I already know you can't, give the sophomoric name calling a break.

Paul C. Buff makes many great things, B400-1600 is great for what it is. Entry level strobes. I have many friends that own them, and I've been taught lighting with them. I see their flaws when put up against better quality lights.
I've said the same thing. Unfortunately you don't play well with others and can't seem to bare the thought of someone having a different perspective. So you resort to name calling, as if such behavior is helpful.

I don't see how they are "obviously" not what the OP was talking about. I mean, the Einstein 640 is in the same relative price range as the Alien Bees are. It seems he was more asking about them and the company in general which would include the Einstein's.
Please stop being a fanboy Nate. We'll have none of your common sense in this thread. :)

What does 'Alien Bees' gear mean to the photography world?
Apparently it means that there is a line drawn in the sand and everyone must choose a side and dig their heels in. :roll:

Keep it friendly people ::playball:

I know strobes can be very expensive. But I was sort of surprised at the price of A-B as an entry level strobe. I would imagine they are better than the cheap Chinese strobe kits on Ebay (bought some myself before), but for the amount of w/s you get for the price, I feel like you are paying partially for the brand name.

What does anyone think of the strobe listed below.
I have two of these strobes. They are 400 w/s and I paid $167 a piece for them. The brand is Mettle and they conveniently use a Bowen's mount.

Mettle 400W 400 Monolight Strobe Flash Bowens Compatble - eBay (item 200418832446 end time Feb-14-10 11:33:14 PST)

I like them. I've used them a fair amount and they feel very robust and consistent. The only thing I don't care for is the plastic mount that doesn't tighten very well when I attach heavy 5' softboxes to the light.

Thanks everyone, I'm learning a lot.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Another thread going to hell? Over nothing?

Sure seems like it. Shake hands, make friends, hug, whatever, just don't let it go any further. :er:

You brought it up (the "pointless banter" topic), I didn't. Now you're calling names? Seriously, grow up a wee bit, please.

I haven't said anything that's bias. I've said nothing but my personal experience. Please point out a single "fanboy" statement I've made. Since I already know you can't, give the sophomoric name calling a break.

I've said the same thing. Unfortunately you don't play well with others and can't seem to bare the thought of someone having a different perspective. So you resort to name calling, as if such behavior is helpful.

I apologize I misread your original post, for some reason I thought you had said something else which just kinda sat under my skin. May have slightly overreacted :peacemrgreen:

Since a certain member here referred to an Annie Liebovitz video in support of her shooting a Canon d-slr some moths ago, I thought it might be a nice counterpoint to show a link to a video of Annie shooting a Nikon D3 and using a modern Profoto pack-and-head system flash,along with the excellent enclosed umbrella she uses so often these days, the Photek Softlighter, which has both umbrella-like setup and break down speed, as well as softbox-like light, but with rounded catchlights that do not obscure huge amounts of the eyeball with a massive,square or rectangular catchlight on close-in people photos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIXfVBF9uV8[/ame]

I apologize I misread your original post, for some reason I thought you had said something else which just kinda sat under my skin. May have slightly overreacted :peacemrgreen:
No problem, it happens. :) Thanks for the post.

Since a certain member here referred to an Annie Liebovitz video in support of her shooting a Canon d-slr some moths ago, I thought it might be a nice counterpoint to show a link to a video of Annie shooting a Nikon D3 and using a modern Profoto pack-and-head system flash,along with the excellent enclosed umbrella she uses so often these days, the Photek Softlighter, which has both umbrella-like setup and break down speed, as well as softbox-like light, but with rounded catchlights that do not obscure huge amounts of the eyeball with a massive,square or rectangular catchlight on close-in people photos.
Holly freaking run-on sentence Batman! :lol:

Do you have these lights ? i would have thought you would have Profoto lights Profoto - The Light Shaping Company

Most reactions

Back