What does 'hi' means?

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What does hi 0.3, 0.7, 1, 2 in my D5100 means? What do the camera do? Increasing ISO makes the sensor more sensitive to light. What does the camera do when I increase the ISO to 'hi'?

It's just higher ISO's. Hi 2 = ISO 25,600 or something like that

ISO only goes up to 10000, so anything more sensitive than that technically isn't recognized by the ISO. So the manufacturers use "Hi" as a substitute. This way, they don't get in trouble for claiming 12,500 and 25,000 ISOs, which really don't exist.

That's your expanded ISO. I can't tell you WHY they call it Hi... I am sure that one of the guys will know the technicals on it.

I think .......

ISO number increase when sensor sensitivity increase. But when it reach to the max, the next ISO setting (Hi) is created digitally.

So, do they increasing the sensitivity in the camera or just increase the brightness in the camera?

I think .......

ISO number increase when sensor sensitivity increase. But when it reach to the max, the next ISO setting (Hi) is created digitally.

But it doesn't seem to work that way, in DxOMark, there indeed is ISO 25600.

I think .......

But it doesn't seem to work that way, in DxOMark, there indeed is ISO 25600.

ISO is not a 'speed', it is the International Organization for Standardization. They set the accepted standards on how long a meter is, what the speed of light in a vacuum is, as well as film speed, et al. Currently, their standards only go to 10,000. So anyone claiming to have a speed above that will not be endorsed by the ISO.

Sometimes, DIN was used.

Increasing ISO makes the sensor more sensitive to light. What does the camera do when I increase the ISO to 'hi'?

Not to get into a technical discussion, but increasing the ISO does not make the sensor more sensitive to light. It doesn't change anything about the sensor itself (aperture and shutter speed control how much light the sensor gets). The ISO setting tells the camera how much to amplify the signal when it processes it to a digital file. Depending on the camera you are using, it may be better to shoot with a higher iso, or on some new models (nikon d7000 for example) it may be better to shoot at iso 100 or 200 and then adjust the image on the computer instead (so that highlights aren't clipped like they would have been had the camera done the processing).

When a Nikon camera's performance, as tested, does NOT MEET the official ISO performance criteria, Nikon then specifies the extended ISO capability levels or settings using the "Hi" nomenclature. Nikon is not trying to bull-chit its users....so they use a different way of referencing how high the gain is, in an "approximate" ISO-equivalence in the areas on either side of the official, tested range. There is also Lo. on some camera models. In the Lo- mode, slightly compromised dynamic range is a typical "feature" that users can look forward to.

I believe it is a popular slang term for 'hello'

What does hi 0.3, 0.7, 1, 2 in my D5100 means? What do the camera do? Increasing ISO makes the sensor more sensitive to light. What does the camera do when I increase the ISO to 'hi'?

My nikon stops at 6400 before it goes into "HI" But I try not to ever go beyond the numeric ISO. I do know I did it one time on purpose and it was extremely bright, was no need to go that hi and it create a lot of "noise" in the pic

Lo and Hi ISO is done with software. Both usually entail a significant loss of dynamic range because it is essentially faked ISO.

Normal, or base ISO is done with amplifiers on the image sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back