What drove you to do photography?

I got into it so I could take pictures of some naked models yo! :mrgreen:

JK...I like photography because it allows you to record a moment in time, while also having the potential for artistic expression. I really like the tech aspect of it, and find myself fascinated by lenses especially in this way. I also find the technology of sensors quite interesting.

All you guys who want to say "well it is not technically possible to record a moment in time, without recording everything in the universe simultaneously blah blah blah", back off I am warning you lol.

I enjoy taking pics of my son, and the things around me. It’s challenging and you can always do better/learn more.

Passion for Art. I love art, but i'm not good in drawing or anything like that. So I chose Photography, which is also an art :)

I saw life in little rectangular boxes. Doesn't everybody?

Hmm. Let's try again.

Life was SO wonderful and full of these incredible images and my head was just bursting with amazement, so I just HAD to photograph all these wonders of the world!

Ugh. ... Retch...

My dad had a Leica IIIc. He took pictures of everything. And everything was always in the center of the frame. Perfectly exposed and centered. I rebelled. I took a cheap plastic camera, shot poorly exposed, and never centered. He thought I would never amount to much. HaH!

Somewhat better...

I got into photography because there was a crisis. Hundreds, if not thousands of rocks, birds and bugs were feeling unwanted and unappreciated. So I HAD to let them know that they were not forgotten! I set forth on my mission - to photograph every unwanted and unknown bug, bird and rock. I expanded my range to leaves, sticks and the occasional ant hill. Yes. I have given self esteem to countless things. But I ask no thanks. It is good to know that I have helped an unwanted and unloved pebble find its meaning in the world.

And no, you can't have what I was drinking...

ha ha then....can I have what you're smoking? j/k :p

Passion for Art. I love art, but i'm not good in drawing or anything like that. So I chose Photography, which is also an art :)

+1

I forgot to mention this.

I honestly can barely draw a stick figure. So it was photography or nothing for me lol.

I was always mildly interested until Junior high school. In science class we were given the teachers Rolli, some basic instructions and sent out to shoot. There was a crane on the school grounds with the boom down. I got into the center of the big end and shot a "perspective" shot. It won "Best Photo", and after that was hooked. I was from San Francisco which I loved and was always homesick since we had moved to San Diego. I went home every summer and wanted to bring my favorite places home with me. I still have them. Later, when I joined Ice Capades at l6, I was given an Argus C-3 as a going away gift. Our first stop was Washington DC and later Russia. The crane shot got me started and I haven't put the camera down since. I now have a Nikon Digital SLR and have to re-learn EVERYTHING but how to look through the viewfinder. Tom Beard

Last edited:
A few years back I stumbled across an urban exploration site dedicated to abandoned buildings in Detroit and I was mesmerized by it. The photographer did an amazing job of capturing the architecture and "story" of the buildings, which were now completely dilapidated. I thought "I want to do that".

I have always loved having and taking pictures.

Like you, though, it was really my kids that inspired me to take it to the next level. I love taking pictures of them.

I eventually want to do senior portraits and maybe engagement photos (maybe even as a side $ gig), but I don't ever really expect this to be my full time job. I'd love it though, don't get me wrong! :)

For me, it was being told by my (now ex) brother-in-law, after spending nearly 40 minutes having to look through all of his portfolios, that there was never any way that I could do anything nearly as good as him nor could I possibly do anything of any interest to him, as he was "trained". I just happened to fall in love with photography after wanting to prove him wrong. (btw, he never ever did anything with all his "training". Never published, never opened a biz, never made a dime, to this very day).

For me, it was being told by my (now ex) brother-in-law, after spending nearly 40 minutes having to look through all of his portfolios, that there was never any way that I could do anything nearly as good as him nor could I possibly do anything of any interest to him, as he was "trained". I just happened to fall in love with photography after wanting to prove him wrong. (btw, he never ever did anything with all his "training". Never published, never opened a biz, never made a dime, to this very day).
Having someone tell you that you can't do something is always the best inspiration.

I probably would have turned his portfolio into a poopfolio with a few minutes in the bathroom and some careful turd releasing.

See how he likes that!

I probably would have turned his portfolio into a poopfolio with a few minutes in the bathroom and some careful turd releasing.

See how he likes that!

HA HA HA HA! Hilarious! I'm sure he would have liked that VERY much! :)

I love art.
I never really had an interest in photography til I had my son.......lol But it wasn't because I wanted to take pictures of him. It was more because I needed something for myself again. My husband has been into photography for 15+ years so we already had the gear. I just needed to learn how to use it...lol I have an art background so that part was easy. So I went from being a bored mom to a struggling artist....lol;)

Three words...

"Simulation" = I love creating and much of creating for me is copying whether its creating a 3d model that looks real or a creating a 2d image that imitates what is real in the 3d world we live in.

"Special Effects" = I love getting a "how did you do that?" whether its a totally fictitious creation, a likeness that similar but different from that which is real, or the marriage between the two. Always good to perplex and wow the audience. What better way to do so then with light? Be it real or not so real.

Photography is a blank page on which the ink of your imagination is free to roam unbounded and unbridled. What's not to draw you in? It's very likely the ultimate when it comes to unencompassed freedom of expression. But I am sure I am just a tad biased LOL.

To be honest...beauty. I know it sounds stupid, and I dont mean it to be. Some people love drugs, candy, women, cigars etc.... I love beauty. When I see the grand canyon, a beautiful flower, my daughter...it astounds me. I love beautiful things. What better way to remember it than in a photo.

Jerry

www.archyval.com
What if you saw beauty in drugs, candy, women, cigars etc.?

(I don't do drugs nor do I smoke. No comment about the other two ;))

For me I think it was a lack of pictures growing up. My family never took many pictures so now that I am older, I feel like I am missing some of the memories that I could share with my daughter. I don't want her to feel that same way when she gets older, so I am trying to leave her a pictorial history of the time we are able to spend together with our friends and family. Now that I have caught the bug, I'm afraid I may spend her inheritance in order to accomplish my goal!:oops:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back