What DSLR camera should I buy?

Okay thanks a lot guys. What if I told you the deal I had on the D50 was for $100. The person just wants to get me started. Maybe I can just get sigma lenses incase I decide to save up for a canon that way I can still use them?

Generally, lenses are not interchangeable between manufacturers (in this case Nikon and Canon). So if you buy the D50 and get Sigma lenses, you're going to have Sigma Lenses with a Nikon mount. Lenses are more an investment than the camera body. The D50 camera sensor is fine (if long in the tooth). For 100 bucks starting out, depending on the quality of the camera (any dust on the sensor, or in the body - you can tell by looking through the view finder or taking a picture of a grey piece of paper and looking for artifacts, also what are the shutter actuations - for 100 bucks I'd say if it had half of its rated shutter life, I'd still buy it) that would be fine, although you will be "limited" to 2 frames per second action shooting. Ask yourself though, if your need for frames per second overwhelms your need for a good deal on a camera. You'd have 700 bucks to play with, and be able to afford a decent walk around lens (that Sigma 24-60), and a nice telephoto to satisfy your action needs, and have some change left over to grab a Sigma 105 f/2.8 for macro and portrait shots. When all is said and done, and you're ready to upgrade to a D300 (they will drop in price, right now people are regularly unloading them for 1200 bucks) you'll have a nice stash of lenses that will be able to compliment the D300's Hi-ISO and fps capabilities.

Alright thanks a lot. Ya I plan on checking the sensor with that trick. I think this is what I am going to go with, thanks to all those who helped.

Not to hate, but as good as the D40 is, the D50 has the advantage of being able to use AF lenses while the D40 can not. For 100 bucks, his friend deal is the better deal here.

Ya I'm looking for a better deal than that.

However. Lenses!

Whatever camera you eventually choose, definitely splurge :)lol:... They're not even expensive.) on a 50mm prime. The fixed focal length will teach you to be a better photographer, and the prime is a lot better quality. The 1.8 (Nikon) and... is it 1.4 for Canon (?) lets in tons of light, too.

Alright. That is the first lens I'm looking to buy. The Nikon 50 mm 1.8. Next I would be looking for an ultra wide or super wide lens. I might even go with a fisheye. I think I could get some could kiteboarding and skiing shots up close with the fisheye. Next I think I'd start to look for the 70-200 mm 2.8 Sigma.

Nikon Lenses I was considering:
Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens (Vibration Reduction) for Digital Cameras $204.9
I think this lens might work just cause I'll be outside in the sun most of the time. I will be shooting sports though. So is the 4-5.6 just too slow?

Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus Lens - Black $119.95
Same questions...

Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens for Digital Cameras $349.95
I just don't know if this is wide enough. Angle of View: 76 -22

I have some others I'm considering, but any ideas on a combo of lenses? Like i said I'm shooting sports, but none indoors. I have 600 to 900 for all of my lenses for now.

I was thinking prime, ultra wide or fisheye, and around 70-200 telephoto. 2.8 probably out of budget. Any ideas?

I would consider the Nikon 50mm F1.4 over the F1.8. Better build, "creamier" bokeh, and a better resell value - and it's not even $100 more (at least here). As for the ultra-wide angles, I've seen many people happy with both the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 (Canon review) and the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6. More people praise the Sigma, but I personally think that's only because more people own one, and those have usually never tried the Tokina. Look them up, read some reviews, or test them in a store - might get you a better idea of what you want. I love Tokina for their build quality, but you'll have to remove some CAs in the post processing.

As for the lenses you have mentioned, I'd only consider the 70-300mm, since it is gives you good reach for a decent price (the VR of the 55-200 isn't bad either though, but for $80... you anyway seem to shoot only moving subject, which means the VR is practically useless). Instead of the 18-70mm I'd rather go for the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 - costs about the same, is a bit shorter, but better in lowlight, and really sharp.

EDIT: Fisheyes tend to be expensive and very specialized, so you should maybe wait until you are sure you need it.

Okay I think the Tokina lens will be perfect for me. I will also buy a nifty 50 but I don't think I can afford the 1.4. Then I will save up for the sigma 70-200 2.8. Thanks to all those who helped.
I only have one last question I swear, is there another site like Photography-on-the.net for Nikon? This is a great site, that has a huge classifieds section, but it is all for canon.
Anybody?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back