What D'you Mean It's Easy? (or 'A Dummies Guide to Loading a Camel on a Truck')

Omg, that thing has dragon teeth. Cool set, although I will never look at a camel the same way again. Looks more like a man-eating monster with those teeth.

Wow, great series.

I have loaded horses, cows, bulls, hogs, goats and mules onto trucks and trailers. For some reason, four legged animals don't care too much for being transported. As I was scrolling back and forth through the photos one word kept popping in my mind............ramp.

They are much too tall to get them to walk onto a truck. They have to hobble them as they very much have a mind of their own and you really don't want a camel deciding it's time to get out when you're on the road. Lifting them on and off is by far the safest way of doing it. Most are really docile during the process, but not this one!

What is in his mouth in 8? He looks like he's in a lot of pain in #9 :(

Nice clear shots, thanks for sharing!

It's part of his throat, believe it or not. It surprised me to see it as well. Each time he roared at us, this great balloon like thing would blow out and spit would going flying everywhere.

I don't think he's in pain, as they didn't do anything to him other than restrict his movements. What we did get told was that this one was a bit of a coward and was basically frightened, hence his reaction to the whole process. The guys putting him on the truck weren't taking to many chances with him and kept themselves well clear of the business end of things - nasty teeth to be sure and in this climate you really don't want to get bitten, any infection that set in would cause some serious medical issues.

That thing in its throat in 8 makes it look like its chewing on a basketball.

Great pics, musta been cool to see. The guy in 1 looks like hes got some fresh blood on him, anything to do with the whole camel loading procedure?

That thing in its throat in 8 makes it look like its chewing on a basketball.

Great pics, musta been cool to see. The guy in 1 looks like hes got some fresh blood on him, anything to do with the whole camel loading procedure?

It was a fairly lively affair and at various points had all of us jumping clear of this camel that was busy thrashing round in front of us.

I'm pretty sure it was blood, I noticed it at the time, but wasn't able to work out where it had come from. One thing we did notice was that quite a few of the animals seem to collect assorted knocks, particularly round the callouses thy get on their knees. One of the farmers' (Abdulrahman) had a large male that insisted on chewing its knee everytime it got sexually frustrated - which included whilst we were there. At the time I asked about the injury and how it acquired it, about 10 minutes later it proceeded to demonstrate.

Ok, that was AWESOME!! I'm one of those TLC/Discovery/NatGeo freaks and that was definitely great to see. Very sharp shots and great subject...That's NOT something I see everyday!!

Great set of photos. Interesting.

Most reactions

Back