What's new

What filter for Rocky Mountains and travel to India

BlueMountain

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, Colorado
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to DSLR photography but passionate about photograpy and the outdoors. I just picked up a Canon 40D and two lenses- Canon 10-22 and Tamron 28-75.

I have been looking at polarizing filters since I do so much outdoor photography (Point & Shoot only so far). In a month, I will also be in India. So I was looking at mainly polarizing filters but eventually need 1-2 Grad filters for the landscape shots.

So then I focused on the Singh Ray and B&W polarizers. I have searched for hours each days but cannot decide which to get. It is primarily between:

B&W MRC circular polarizer
Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer
Singh-Ray LB neutral polarizer

While I understand the cool versus warm casts, I am still paralyzed by which route to take, though I have been searching and going crazy for 5-6 weeks- hours every day. Any thoughts or advice? I don't want to make an expensive mistake either. Keep in mind that I love outdoor photography and I have a trip to India coming up as well.

Any thoughts on gradient filters would be appreciated too.

Thanks so much.
 
Welcome to the forum.

I'd personally avoid a warming polarizer, you can adjust the WB (shoot RAW) afterward on the computer.

I can't speak to the quality of those filters, but I do know that both B&W and Singh-Ray make some great filters.
When I look at filters, I usually avoid the cheapest and I can't afford the most expensive, so I get something in the middle of the price range.
I haven't really done any testing to compare cheap, average and expensive filters...but it's not something that I've ever been too concerned about.
If you are going crazy for hours a day, for 5-6 weeks....I'd suggest getting away from the computer and going on a nice long hike. :er:

If you are going to use grad filters, get square ones (not round). You can get a holder for them, but many photographers just hold them up to the lens. For your 10-20mm lens, you will likely need good sized filters (Cokin P or X, not A).
I love shooting in the mountains but I don't ever bring my grad filters. While they can help, there aren't many flat horizons in the mountains...so I have learned to bracket my shots and implement HDR processing when needed.
 
Thanks, Mike. The best way to learn (and to avoid expensive mistakes) is through experienced photographers. You make some excellent points. I will start shooting in the mountains first and then see what is lacking. I'll also avoid the warming polarizer and consider a neutral one. If I need some grad filters, I'll focus on the bigger square ones as well.

I'm disconnecting and going for a run today and a hike in the moutains this weekend. This photography things is too addictive....and I'm just researching. :)
 
If you just picked up the camera and new to DSLR, really... forget about the filter and worry more about how to use your camera.

Whats up 303!
 
Okay, I still do need to master all the setting, exposure, etc. I picked up a couple of books too. DSLR photography is pretty complex for a beginner. I just hope I am good enough to capture some quality pictures while in India this December.
 
If you want to buy me lunch, Ill give you a crash course .. Hah :)
 
You're on, my friend. I find I absolutely suck at learning from books.:grumpy:

If you're serious, let's find a decent day and I'll be happy to buy you lunch and learn a bit. :thumbup:

If you want to buy me lunch, Ill give you a crash course .. Hah :)
 
Yeah.. im serious. Since it is dark after 5, we have to do it in the weekend. I live in Englewood. Just PM me.
 
I would go with a B+W MRC thin-mount (to reduce vignetting on your wide-angle) polarizing filter and at least two G-NDs. As Mike mentioned, go for the gel types. If you can afford the Lee or Singh-Ray gels, get them. If not, go for the Cokins. If you do use Cokin filters, make sure you have a piece of black construction paper or matte craft foam to use as a make-shift lens hood when shooting toward the sun. Cokin ND filters tend to show a slight to moderate red cast when aimed near the sun, but this is easily controlled with the paper/foam mentioned above. Having spend a while shooting in India a couple of years ago, I can tell you that you will NOT regret having those filters!
 
Hi Blue Mountain, if you must use a a CPL do buy Two (2) of them. Used in tandem and when rotated they act like a variable ND Filter - vow! great experience and cheaper than an ND + CPL.
Mounting the set on your 10 or 12 mm wide lenses will cause vignetting. But then if you buy one thin profile CPL and the other standard, you could still use your thin profile CPL on the extreme Wide Angle lens.
If you like the idea I'd suggest you buy a mid priced one like Cokin. Why dont you Google for Quality Ratings of CPls and make a discovery yourself.
Enjoy your trip to India.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom