what filter/setting was used here?

corbravo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, this is my first post, so let me know if I'm blowing any of the etiquette or rules to post. :)

I really like this image and would like to know how it was achieved.
I mostly know that when I take pictures they don't look like this.

The colour and detailed texture of the trees - is this product of any kind of filter?
Also, how does one get such detail on the trees WHILE getting the sky rightly lit?
As far as I know, if I focused on the sky, the rest would become too dark, and if I focus on the trees, the sky would be too bright.

Now that I'm reading what I'm posting and how clueless I sound, I'm wondering if this question belongs to the beginner forum instead. Apologies if it does, do let me know and thanks.

119562.jpg

There's no way to determine if any filter was used, and since there's no metadata attached to the image, there's no way to find out what the settings were.

Welcome on TPF.

If it is not your photo, you should remove it from the post and leave it as a link. Posting photos that aren't yours is against the rules.

As for the photo itself, you are right. The scene seems to be impossible to light on an overcast day taking one exposure and using just the available light. There are a couple possibilities.

1) It could be shot with a gradient ND filter, used to darken the sky, but it doesn't seem like it judging by how the highest parts of the trees look.
2) Since it seems to be a pretty small area, it could be lit by a powerful off camera flash, but I guess it would be pretty problematic to get it to look natural. I am no strobist, so I won't help you there.
3) It could be, and probably is, a photo made of multiple exposures. One photo exposed for the foreground, and one for the sky. Then it's merged in Photoshop or any similar application.

Sharply focused photos are produced by a combination of things:
  • good camera holding technique
  • an accurate exposure
  • use of the proper depth-of-field for the subject matter.
  • use of a rock steady tripod
  • a high quality lens
  • post process contrast adjustments, particularly to mid-tone contrast.
  • post process sharpening of the image

Last edited:
The lighting is very diffuse daylight (look at the sky) from the right and slightly behind the pool, definitely not an off camera flash - no matter how diffused it would not be possible to illuminate the area in the photo evenly.

Not stacked frames there is no apparent movement of the tree tops as would occur in all but the calmest of conditions.

Looking at the scene I would guess that the exposure could easily have been from an automatic mode, which one, aperture or shutter priority doesn't matter.

The shot could have been taken hand-held with a fast shutter speed or using a tripod or other support.

There really doesn't seem to be anything particularly outstanding about this at all - it's just a well exposed rather boriing photo.

There really doesn't seem to be anything particularly outstanding about this at all - it's just a well exposed rather boriing photo.

Klaus Pichler. That photo is from his Middle Class Utopia series. Quite a bit of his art photography is done on film, both 35 and 120. He mentions his appreciation of a Mamiya 7 in one interview.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back