There are 2 schools of thought - Put a clear or UV filter on (old school) and go without (new school). I am old school and decided to use a UV filter for protection of the front lens element.
I am old school too, and have
never used a UV or any other filter for 'protection' and don't recommend they be used for that purpose. They are an unnecessary expense, IMO.
When I shot film I used to a UV filter on ocassion to pre-process a negative, but then off it came.
Digital image sensors have a built-in UV filter so one on the front of a lens will not improve your photo, but a cheap one can make your photos worse.
Adding glass to the front of a lens adds problems: lens flare, loss of contrast, and when shattered or broken, sharp shards of glass that can actually damage the lens front objective it was intended to 'protect'.
A UV/clear filter is a thin, flat piece of glass. Lenses objectives tend to be thicker and many are backed by correcting lens elements that make the entire group much stronger.
A lens hood designed for your lens will not add problems, in fact is solves some like the already mentioned lens flare and contrast loss. a lens hood also provides a 'safe zone' around the front lens element.
Nothing provides better protection than good camera handeling technique, and basic common sense and situational awareness.
Check out this example of "Front Element Scratches":
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratcheshttp://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/faq.php