What frustrates me is that I don't capture colors and light exactly as I see it

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.

I only have a point and shoot Cybershot (DSC-H20) right now, but will soon be getting either the D5100 or D7000 and am frustrated that my camera doesn't capture the colors and lighting that MY eye sees even on "EASY" or "AUTO". What I mean is that the lighting may be brighter in the picture than what I'M seeing, etc.

Is there a way to capture EXACTLY what I'm seeing with regards to color AND lighting? Shouldn't EASY mode do this?

No automatic mode will do that... and your Sony is probably not the best camera to achieve that with! Get a DSLR, and practice... and you can come close. Cameras lack the ability to see the dynamic range that we do with our eyes, that is probably one of the reasons for what you are seeing / not seeing! But with special techniques like HDR / LDR, even that can be conquered! Having good post processing skills is also essential to enhance photos to what you saw when you took the shot.

Last edited:
To add on to what Charlie said, P&S cameras have a couple of disadavantages, one of which is the inability to shoot in RAW format (a format which is almost the pure sensor data with virtually no in-camera processing). Having RAW files gives you a LOT more data, and with software such as Adobe's Lightroom, allows you to make much more controlled and accurate "corrections" to the image. Get that DSLR!

Thanks all!! So RAW will give me closer to what my eye actually sees? How would one remember what one saw yesterday to correct the pic in post processing? Should I get the D5100 and an extra lens or the D7100? I'm gonna have to spend more than I've got saved and maybe use my credit card (more debt) for the D7000 though. I think I'm now leaning to the D5100 as a starter. Plus, I may want to get a superzoom this summer, so the D5100 budget with an extra lens is looking better!

snapsnap1973 said:
Thanks all!! So RAW will give me closer to what my eye actually sees? How would one remember what one saw yesterday to correct the pic in post processing? Should I get the D5100 and an extra lens or the D7100? I'm gonna have to spend more than I've got saved and maybe use my credit card (more debt) for the D7000 though. I think I'm now leaning to the D5100 as a starter. Plus, I may want to get a superzoom this summer, so the D5100 budget with an extra lens is looking better!

No, Raw images themselves won't get you closer to what your eye actually sees... But it will give you a LOT more latitude when editing your photos to look how you saw them with your eyes. Straight out of the camera, raw files will usually look a bit flat.

So how do you remember what you saw when taking lots of pics? Just becomes an art more or less? Am I right in assuming that a DSLR will be more faithful to what my eye sees? More than my Sony Cybershot $200 camera?

Thansk

snapsnap1973 said:
So how do you remember what you saw when taking lots of pics? Just becomes an art more or less?

If it was good enough to set up a photo, you'll remember how it looked.

Every photograph is the photographers interpretation of the scene. Whether you want it to look exactly like how you saw it, or take artistic liberties in photoshop is totally your call.

Or if you have an extremely short term memory, you can write down a description of what you shot and try to mimic that with processing.

And yes, a DSLR would have a better dynamic range as well as have the ability to put better glass on it which also dramatically improves photos.

Is the D5100 good enough to start with? I'd have to save a bit more to get into the D7000 and while I think it's nice, I'm not sure if it would do more for me right now.

Yes, the D5100 is more than good enough to start with.

A photo will never look exactly like you saw the scene. At least using currently available technology.
A photo is only 2-D after all.

The D5100 and the D7000 use the same image sensor. The D7000 has more features. 2 command wheels, a top LCD, a built-in auto focus screw-drive system, a better auto focus module, a better metering sensor, CLS Commander mode, more external controls (less menu diving), a better viewfinder, and more.

Last edited:
You have plenty of help already on the color range issues, but I'll give some advice on the camera purchase:

Get something you can grow into! The d5100 is certainly enough for you to grow into, but highly consider the D7K if you think you will really get into photography. I got a D3k from my GF for Christmas and I already want to replace it. I was considering the D5100 but I think that will be too little of an upgrade, so I'm shooting for a D7k in the next few months.

Raw won't give you what you want straight away, you'll need to familiarise yourself with a raw conversion software to get the image you want out of the 'raw' data. You need to research, tinker, research, tinker...and so on until you start getting what you want out of it.

Hi.

I only have a point and shoot Cybershot (DSC-H20) right now, but will soon be getting either the D5100 or D7000 and am frustrated that my camera doesn't capture the colors and lighting that MY eye sees even on "EASY" or "AUTO". What I mean is that the lighting may be brighter in the picture than what I'M seeing, etc.

Is there a way to capture EXACTLY what I'm seeing with regards to color AND lighting? Shouldn't EASY mode do this?

I'm a big fan of the Cybershot family of cameras. Over the years, I've probably owned 8 of them. As far as P&S cameras go, I don't think you can do better than the Cybershots. Push the button, picture is taken.

As far as your pictures not looking like what you see, no camera is perfect, not in auto or P mode. Some do better than others in certain situations, but none of them will be perfect in all situations. That's why you should learn a little about photography regardless what camera you use. I'm guessing, but what you are describing could be an exposure issue or a white balance issue.

If you haven't already, you should check out the beginner's section or use google to learn about exposure & how you can adjust your cameras exposure value in M mode. You should also look up white balance which is also adjustable on your camera; exposure and white balance has a huge affect on your image & the representation of color. Adjusting shutter speed and aperture is just as easy on your camera as it would be on a D7000, adjusting white balance and ISO might be easier on the D7000 as it's probably 2 button pushes away (like it is on my D3000) but I don't know how much digging you've got to do on your H20.

So I do like the larger viewfinder on the d7000, but don't know if that justifies the extra mula for me right now (I am a beginner also). How much of a pain is it to have to go into the menu to adjust ISO, white balance, etc, on the D5100?

Thank you all!

P.S. I did try the 7000 at a local store here in Maine and I really liked it over the 5100, BUT I think I could live with the 5100 for a couple years .... maybe.

snapsnap1973 said:
So I do like the larger viewfinder on the d7000, but don't know if that justifies the extra mula for me right now (I am a beginner also). How much of a pain is it to have to go into the menu to adjust ISO, white balance, etc, on the D5100?

Thank you all!

P.S. I did try the 7000 at a local store here in Maine and I really liked it over the 5100, BUT I think I could live with the 5100 for a couple years .... maybe.

You went to hunts? The one camera store in south of Bangor? Hah.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back