What gear should I go for?

What gear should I go for?

• Canon 70D with 18-55mm kit lens.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Canon 750D with 18-55mm kit lens + another lens (10-18mm or perhaps a prime)

• Canon 1200D with 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lens + 10-18mm + 35mm/40mm/50mm prime lens.

• Total voters

DarkHoody

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm a bit confused about which gear I should acquire to get the best of my money. As a noob I would obviously go for the best camera I could go for but will that be wise?

I have around 72,000 INR which is about 1046 USD & 754 GBP. I have 3 options that I can go for :

• Canon 70D with 18-55mm kit lens.
  • Canon 750D with 18-55mm kit lens + another lens (10-18mm or perhaps a prime)
  • Canon 1200D with 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lens + 10-18mm + 35mm/40mm/50mm prime lens.
I have put aside some money for a wired remote shutter release and a decent enough tripod.

I'm doing an internship as a graphic designer and will be working as one for a good few years. I've studied digital arts and animation so I do understand the basics of composition as I did read basic cinematography and stuff. I also watched many videos on photography(mostly about composition
and some about cameras and lenses). So I possess some theoretical knowledge but I have 0 practical knowledge. I would like to be the one the best photographer in the world but I would probably never be a professional photographer.

I'll list my photography interests in descending order.
  1. Art/Abstract
  2. Street(includes portraits?)
  3. Landscape
  4. Pets/wildlife/birds
There maybe some other categories that I like and some that I don't know exists as it's own category.(like stuffs in photojournalism, adventure photography etc.) I do not like studio stuffs like product photography or fashion photography unless it's done with legos or paper cutouts.

Also I'd like to learn as much as I can about filming with the camera I'll buy so decent video capabilities would be good but is not necessary; photo is the priority.

So what combination will be good for me? Do I really need the 7fps burst? or multiple exposure? or and additional LCD screen?

If I forgot some details that I should tell you, let me know. Also the price calculation I did was using prices from Amazon.in not a physical shop. If there is any other better gear, please do suggest.

Is there a reason you're only considering Canon? Nikon has some very good options as well. And since you're interested in video, you probably should also take a look at some of the mirrorless cameras. Mirrorless cameras can match DSLRs in image quality and have better video capabilities.

Not really, Canon cameras are a bit cheaper at the moment though the prices keep fluctuating. I liked the Nikon D5500 and it's within my price range. Also a friend's friend has a canon DSLR, I used it for a few minutes and it was very very easy to use; though I've nothing to compare it to.

I'll look into mirrorless, but like I said I don't have much knowledge about the various hardware. Specially what would be good for me.

The main thing I really want to know is whether I should get the best camera I can afford or get a cheaper camera and a few good lenses.

Unfortunately your demands are all over the place.

A Canon with a kitlens (normal zoom) and a telephoto seems to be a good start, though.

For the record, what I mentally associate with the fields of photography you mention:

- Most hardcore type of photography as Art: Large Format Film 4x5 or even 8x10 inch: insane resolution for massive prints, full analog processing, and the film to prove its the picture you really took

- Street: Candid photographs of people in their everyday life; normal to wide angle lens, low aperture, stealthy camera (iPhone?)

- Portrait: Portrait lenses; shorter telephoto (typically 85mm) with large apertures (f2.0, f1.4 or even more), shallow depth of field with background turned into a featureless mush of colors (good Bokeh quality of the lens); HSS and offcamera flash really required

- Landscape: Wide to long angle at low apertures for maximum depth of field, tripod, filter useage (circular polarizer and gradient ND)

- Pets: Telephoto zoom with good autofocus performance (sportzoom)

- Wildlife: Extreme telephoto, good autofocus performance

- Birds: Most extreme telephoto (APS-C, 1.4x extender etc), high fps

I would prefer to have all lenses you need first. You can get a better camera later. You will miss HSS though.

Or look for a good deal on a used camera. Maybe also used lenses. Refurbished cameras are OK, but refurbished lenses AVOID, as well as gray market.

Well when I said art photography, I meant compositionally. There won't be any printing or proving involved. :)

I guess my demands are indeed all over the place. I did not even mention my astronomical interests. So how do I tackle that with the budget I have? I always knew I wouldn't be able to buy specialty lenses & accessories anytime soon; like large telephoto or macro.

Perhaps I should go for something that will accomodate me with overall learning needs? Maybe all I really wanna know is that as a beginner should I choose a few decent lenses with an entry level camera(like C 1200D or N D3300) or a mid level camera with a basic lens. (This is because I won't be able to buy anything for quite some time.)

I think I'm phrasing all my questions incorrectly and should look at all this in a different way.

Like I said I'm totally confused. :)

Wow...okay. It is a little overwhelming, because you basically need a camera that does everything with every specialty lens available, and you need it all for a fairly low price. As mentioned, your needs are so broad that it's difficult to narrow in on a recommendation.

Okay, how about you start here:
2015 Roundup: Interchangeable Lens Cameras $500-800

2015 Roundup: Interchangeable Lens Cameras $800-$1200

In these two links, the cameras you mentioned are compared against other cameras in the same price range. There are individual reviews as well as overall recommendations.

Once you've taken a look at those and have a few cameras that sound good to you, I suggest you look at systems. That means make a list of all the lenses you need now or might ever need, then look at the companies to see if they offer those lenses and at which prices. For instance, Sony offers great overall cameras that do many things well, including video, but they are a newer system. That means their lenses are newer and more expensive, and while there are new lenses coming out, they don't have nearly as many as some other systems. Specifically, they don't have long telephoto that you might want for wildlife or astrophotography yet. They might develop them someday, they might not. If those lenses are a high priority for you, it's probably not the right system. It all depends on your priorities.

Anyway, once you look through those links, you'll probably have a better idea of the features you want. Then you'll probably have more specific questions for us, which we'll be happy to answer. :)

I can only speak for my self, and I am not sure you can use my answer for anything.

When I startet photographing years ago, I used some old Canon powershot. I used this for at couple of years. then I realized I needed some more control, and I bought my first DSLR 450D with a kit lens. I used this for years, until I upgraded to a full frame a few years back. As time passed i found out what I like photographing. So for me it's not so much about the gear, but more if the picture turns out as you imagined.

For me I sounds like you want explore, different genre, and diffrent ways to express yourself(graphic design, film, photography, etc).

What I am trying to say is, I would probably just buy a smartphone and get the best out of it. Once you encounter any "problems" you can see if they can be solved, within the limitations of your gear. If it cant you know your problem / need is. With this insight you can buy some new gear.

Hope it makes sense:)

You can learn photography just fine with, say, a Canon 5D Mark II or III. They still have the green mode (AUTO) for absolute beginners. Only the Canon 1D line lacks this. You can ignore all the buttons on the camera for the start and only learn them step by step.

The main reason to avoid full frame is that lenses are much more expensive, and budget seems to be an issue for you.

Thats one of the disadvantages of Canon EF: no dirt cheap manual focus lenses from ages past that are built like a tank (full metal), pretty close to the best lenses of today (or even better), and will probably survive us all.

Oh right, adapter useage is actually possible. Thanks for the reminder.

Then a Canon 5D Mark II could actually be a great choice. Since its the last Canon to still support viewscreens.

Btw, THATS a feature that the Nikon Df truely lacked.

I think that is one of the main reason Sony Full Frame mirrorless is quite attempting. With the Flange to Focal Plane is so short, it really open up a great opportunity for old those lenses including the Canon FD mount lens.

I think that is one of the main reason Sony Full Frame mirrorless is quite attempting. With the Flange to Focal Plane is so short, it really open up a great opportunity for old those lenses including the Canon FD mount lens.

I believe all mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras have a short "flange to focal plane" so they all take old lens (with appropriate adapter)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I'll list my photography interests in descending order.
  1. Art/Abstract
  2. Street(includes portraits?)
  3. Landscape
  4. Pets/wildlife/birds
There maybe some other categories that I like and some that I don't know exists as it's own category.(like stuffs in photojournalism, adventure photography etc.) I do not like studio stuffs like product photography or fashion photography unless it's done with legos or paper cutouts.

Also I'd like to learn as much as I can about filming with the camera I'll buy so decent video capabilities would be good but is not necessary; photo is the priority.

If you're more interested in wide angle images than long lenses, maybe get the 10-18mm and a 50mm prime. You don't necessarily need all the focal lengths in between.

Well thanks everyone for the suggestions, I think I'll go for the Sony A6000. It's cheaper than the 70D, and in performance quite equal to it. So I can get an extra lens.

I have a question though, in a video I saw a guy use the canon 50mm lens on the A6000 without an adapter. The autofocus won't work but it's alright. So I just wanna confirm if that is true, cos I can get many lenses then.

No, I don't think that's right. He probably keeps the adapter connected to the lens all the time so he just had to put it on to the camera. If you don't need the adapter to autofocus, though, they can be as cheap as $10.

Most reactions

Back