What glass should I get?

Sirgitano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
sirgitano.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to get a new lens in the not too distant future. I'm a complete noob in photography. I have a nikon d3300 with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses. Most of what I shoot is landscape and nature or whatever I happen see that I want to shoot. I've done a good amount of research for many different types of glass but can never decide on what to get.

You need to be a fair bit more specific.

1. Budget: How much do you want to spend? How much are you willing to spend?
2. Function: What focal length(s) are you thinking about?
3. Features: Do you want to shoot macro? Do you want to shoot at a fast aperture? Do you want VR? Do you want a prime, or a zoom?
4. Expectations: What do you want to get out of the new lens that you cannot do with your current lenses?

My generic response without knowing any of the above would be:

If you're looking at getting a prime lens, look at the 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, or 85mm 1.8G. All three are good. I would lean toward the 35 or the 50 for most things. The 35mm 1.8G is the most versatile, the 50mm 1.8G is really useful for portraiture and general things, and the 85mm 1.8G is great almost purely for portraiture.

If you're looking at getting a step up in the nature/wildlife area, I would recommend the 150-600mm Contemporary (Sigma) lens. If that's too much money, the 70-300 VR (Nikon) lens is an incremental upgrade over the 55-200 by a fair margin. Tamron's offering is also worth considering, in the end I'd buy whatever you can get your hands on in a store to test in person. Other options include Tamron's 70-300 VC lens.

If you're looking at getting an ultrawide, the Nikon 10-24mm is going to perform the best on the DX body hands down. However, if that's too much money, there are other options, but the choice can get a little more complicated.

Last edited:
Before asking for advice on new lenses decide where your current lenses are not giving you what you want, some idea of budget might be useful too.

UWA lenses are often used in landscapes, do you find your kit lens doesn't go wide enough? It is sometimes possible to combine multiple shots to increase the field of view, with this technique you might find your kit lens is adequate.
Nature is a VERY wide category, including macro & supertelephoto type shots. there are inexpensive ways to get into macro, but getting reasonable lenses above ~300mm will not be cheap.
Do you shoot in low light? A fast prime might help. 50mm primes can be quite affordable, if thats a limit that effects you.

There will be factors that could be improved in any lens, sometimes the improvement can be significant - kit lenses tend to be at the budget end, so compromises are often made to keep them affordable. Improved versions of your current lenses will probably give sharper more contrasty images, and options for wider apertures. Sometimes 'flaws' in the way a lens records the scene (such as flare) can be just what a photographer wants to get the effect they're after...

(Looks like Paul beat me to it)

Before asking for advice on new lenses decide where your current lenses are not giving you what you want, some idea of budget might be useful too.

Holy crap, Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get hooked into being a gearhead where your photography is really an excuse to buy new stuff and fondle it.

Not overly concerned with the price (but not going to buy a $25000 lens.) Just looking for the step up from what I have. Prime or zoom is part of the question.(just looking for some suggestions) I'm planing a hiking trip in the future and would like to get a good lens for it.

Since you have 18 - 200mm covered, I would suggest a fast prime so you can have a little fun with the large aperture/short depth of field/razor sharp qualities those lenses offer. 85 1.8G for shooting portraits or a 35 1.8G for a general walk-around/landscape/groups of people lens. The 50 1.8G is an option too but I find that focal length kinda boring.

Since you have 18 - 200mm covered, I would suggest a fast prime so you can have a little fun with the large aperture/short depth of field/razor sharp qualities those lenses offer. 85 1.8G for shooting portraits or a 35 1.8G for a general walk-around/landscape/groups of people lens. The 50 1.8G is an option too but I find that focal length kinda boring.

Should I go with the nikkor glass for the 35mm or is there a good third party glass for it

This one of them I was looking at.

Voigtlander 28mm f 2.8 Color Skopar SL II Lens for Nikon BD296A

Don't know if they are any good or not.

The main thing I was looking for is a good wide angle lens. Don'tknow if I should get a zoom or prime for it.

On your D3300, this 28mm length will be very,very close to a "normal" lens, not a wide-angle length. This is a well-made, compact AKA pancake type lens, assembled by Cosina, to high standards of build. it has a built-in CPU, so the D3000 will recognize the lens, and will light meter with it. You will need to focus it by hand, since it is a manual focusing design. In summary, normal focal length, not wide-angle on APS-C, compact, light, sturdy, manual focus, high-quality, and capable of being used on FX aka full-frame digital or film cameras.

Yes, same thing: assembled by Cosina, high degree of mechanical precision, silky-smooth manual focusing, CPU-equipped, mounts and meters on Nikon D3000- and D5000-series bodies and reports EXIF information to the camera because it has the built-in CPU. This lens, which is a 58mm f/1.4 lens, will on an APS-C sensor, be a medium-long telephoto lens--the "field of view equivalent" of an 85mm telephoto on full-frame digital or 35mm film format.

I own three Cosina-made lenses in the Voigtlander brand: these things are built to very high standards, and are silky-smooth, solid, lifetime-build lenses.

The 18mm focal length in your 18-55mm lens is wide angle. Are you looking for view that is wider than that?

The 18mm focal length in your 18-55mm lens is wide angle. Are you looking for view that is wider than that?

Yes, something sharp, reliable, little distortion, and not like $10000. If it's something I have to save up for that ok.

Also don't know if I should have it in zoom or prime

Looking for a step or two up from what I have.

Should I go with the nikkor glass for the 35mm or is there a good third party glass for it

The DX version of the Nikkor 35mm is excellent and extremely affordable. I don't own one but my sister-in-law has one and it produces some beautiful images.

The DX version of the Nikkor 35mm is excellent and extremely affordable. I don't own one but my sister-in-law has one and it produces some beautiful images.

Nikon 35mm f 1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor Lens 2183 B H Photo

Is this the one you're talking about?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back