What I did at Work

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For all the bitching I do about work, I have a tendency to forget that I get to do some really cool things. For every launch, VVIPs get to get up close and personal to the Shuttle. The "Night Viewing" (as it's called for obvious reasons) site is about 300 yards from the Shuttle. We take the VVIPs there the night before the launch, and about 3 hours before fueling begins. Once fueling starts, you can get closer than 4 miles. So, yea, I guess there ARE some cool aspects to my job:

IMG_1650.jpg

Oh indeed!
The only time I (not coming even close to being a VIP, let alone a VVIP!) I saw the shuttle waiting for being launched was when they were starting up the countdown for the umptieth time, which means: it was fully fuelled, so our tourist bus HAD to stay as far from it as the 4 miles you're mentioning. Which is why my only photo was taken through the bus window and from MILES away (and during the day, to add to the boredom).

No. I didn't... It happened about 18 hours after we were there, at night, and we were back to our hotel in Kissimmee at the time, getting ready to move on to Fort Lauderdale.

That's the problem with launches. They say that there is an automatic 40% chance of not going because of weather in FL. Fortunately, I usually get to stay an extra few days, so I don't usually miss them. But I do feel badly for the folks who fly down and don't plan to stay.

your picture is so phenomenal

We debated going back, but at the time we were travelling with a not-quite-6-year-old and a not-quite-2-year-old, and that fact weighed in heavily for our not setting out to Cape Caneveral again that night... It's not something you'd want to submit such little children to, less even when you are so far away from home and out of your daily routines, anyway.

We debated going back, but at the time we were travelling with a not-quite-6-year-old and a not-quite-2-year-old, and that fact weighed in heavily for our not setting out to Cape Caneveral again that night... It's not something you'd want to submit such little children to, less even when you are so far away from home and out of your daily routines, anyway.

I hear ya...so you should come back now and try again...there aren't too many Shuttle launches left you know.

I'm very jealous. Great shot too. Must be an awsome sight :)

without meaning to sound snooty, it is an awesome sight. I've had to attend a number of launches now (it still blows my mind that I get paid to do that) and it never gets boring or routine. It's an incredible experience that you just don't get from watching on TV. Especially night launches. This one was around 7 pm (I think. The launch, not the picture--the pic was taken around 2 in the morning) and it's incredible when the rockets light and it's like night turning to day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back