What's new

What I have to learn from the pictures I took C&C please

MiFleur

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 3, 2013
Messages
885
Reaction score
206
Location
Colebrook, NH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is one of the photos I took, that I like, but I am not totally satisfied
1) I wish I would have included the tip of the trees in the image
2) What do you think of the blurry background, would it have been better with a wider aperture?
3) I could have lighten it up maybe?

I was quite happy to capture our dog in this noble pose... but there is so little time to figure this out
How do you guys do to be so fast to capture these special moments? by the time I saw the dog, there was no time for camera adjustments. Am I missing something? It looks dull...
Please comment.


Trixie, our dog, on a winter day by MiFleur, Back to normal, on Flickr
 
1) By now you have probably realized that you can frame "looser" in the viewfinder, then crop later in the computer.

2) Actually, you want a smaller aperture, not wider.

3) Overcast sky is either a blessing or a curse. The light meter in the camera is affected by all the white, regardless if the sun is not out. You can bump up the exposure using the "exposure compensation" feature in your camera.

I guess we just have to always think about camera settings whenever we move into a different environment. So when you get ready to walk outside when there is snow on the ground, set your EC to bump up the exposure some.
 
Last edited:
The blurry background looks just a tad bit "hashy" to me...that lens, on that subject matter, at that focusing distance, at that aperture value, created bokeh that is not really "good", but which is, as I often say, "hashy". It looks as if the lens has a tendency to do what is called "double-lining", or creating TWO lines on out of focus lines, such as on the tree branches...that causes an unpleasant visual appearance, to me, and to others. Perhaps if the background were MORE out of focus, it would have been better. Or, if the background had been more IN-FOCUS, the scene would have looked better; I think a compelling case could be made for either approach--more,or less, background focus!!!

As to designer's advice. Yes, when shooting in fog, or snowy conditions, many light metering systems will produce better exposures if more exposure is added. Perhaps this little jingle will help: When shooting white, it's best to add light. (Think of all the t's in that as + signs!!!!) ( +o bes+ shoo+ whi+e, add ligh+)
 
The blurry background looks just a tad bit "hashy" to me...that lens, on that subject matter, at that focusing distance, at that aperture value, created bokeh that is not really "good", but which is, as I often say, "hashy". It looks as if the lens has a tendency to do what is called "double-lining", or creating TWO lines on out of focus lines, such as on the tree branches...that causes an unpleasant visual appearance, to me, and to others. Perhaps if the background were MORE out of focus, it would have been better. Or, if the background had been more IN-FOCUS, the scene would have looked better; I think a compelling case could be made for either approach--more,or less, background focus!!!

Yes I see what you mean, and it is the first time I hear that term "hashy" it does correspond to what I see, thanks for your explanation, knowing that, I would probably go for more in focus, I will have to play with the lens and try various scenatios it is the Tamron 24-70 and I did not have it for a very long time, this is one of my first landscape with it, used it mostly during the holidays for portraits.

As to designer's advice. Yes, when shooting in fog, or snowy conditions, many light metering systems will produce better exposures if more exposure is added. Perhaps this little jingle will help: When shooting white, it's best to add light. (Think of all the t's in that as + signs!!!!) ( +o bes+ shoo+ whi+e, add ligh+)

Thanks for your comments! very much appreciated!


1) By now you have probably realized that you can frame "looser" in the viewfinder, then crop later in the computer.

2) Actually, you want a smaller aperture, not wider.

3) Overcast sky is either a blessing or a curse. The light meter in the camera is affected by all the white, regardless if the sun is not out. You can bump up the exposure using the "exposure compensation" feature in your camera.

I guess we just have to always think about camera settings whenever we move into a different environment. So when you get ready to walk outside when there is snow on the ground, set your EC to bump up the exposure some.

Yes Designer, lookin at my picture, I do realize clearly I should have zoomed a little bit less to get more of the image in the frame, since about a month now I have 24 mp after all....

Exposure compensation would have helped for sure. Thanks for the hint!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom