What if Photoshop doesn't exist?

Nice list of equipment in your signature Charlie... very classy...

I like my toys! I can't tell if you are actually being nice... or if you are putting me down??? It is just what I have... period. (and that is the short list!) ;)

why do people act like using editing programs is cheating or something? using Photoshop now in the digital age isn't all that different than film people making adjustments in the darkroom.Granted, it was a different skill set, but Photoshop is just the new editing tool and like any other tool, requires a certain amount of skill and practice to be proficient with it. Riding a horse requires more skill and finesse than driving a car, (i mean English, not that easy western saddle stuff, and a snaffle bit, not straight bar.) but nobody is going to praise me for being "retro" or "classic" for riding a horse to work. When I got my emergency appendectomy, I sure didn't criticize the doctor for using every new and modern tool at his disposal to get the job done. Sorry doctor, you took the easy way out using that laser and MRI scanner...you should have shown real skill and done it the old fashioned way.

My feelings exactly. its there, use it!

I like my toys! I can't tell if you are actually being nice... or if you are putting me down??? It is just what I have... period. (and that is the short list!) ;)

We can trade if it makes you feel more secure, lol.

But seriously, you have a pretty decent collection there.

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT ... nope. it's just useless.

I think I'll put my list of scrappy gear in my signature ... even the broken/mutilated/half disassembled stuff.

Back in my film days, I shot almost exclusively slides. Either it was 'right' or it was gone.

The only improvement that Photoshop and its kin have provided is
1. The per-frame cost is effectively zero (in respect to a previous thread, camera gear depreciated/needed replacement in those days, too)
2. I now spend hours and hours at the computer trying to 'improve' (OK, =FIX=) my marginally acceptable shots as well as correct a sometimes non-horizontal horizon, etc
3. My throw-away rate has gotten worse since going digital!

Maybe I'd be happier going back to film?

While I agree with you to some extent, my "throw away" rate also has gotten worse. I remember having a pretty hard time deciding which slides are "keepers". I think though that this is more because 'per shot is essentially zero'. I don't really have a 'fix it in post' attitude, I didn't with film and I don't now. Because I ETTR, I actually don't have a whole lot of wiggle room on the hilights - in fact, if my effective latitude is around 6 stops, and I want to keep most of the data above middle grey, then I really only have 3 stops to work in before blowing ... sounds a lot like slide film.

But now I have this "oh well, might as well shoot it" kind of 10,000 monkeys shooting 10,000 cameras attitude about things.

unpopular said:
I don't miss the darkroom at all. Do you people even know what was involved with making a contrast mask??

^^^ This.

I've never used the darkroom but the almost-elitist attitude of "omg photography has just gotten worse sing PS and digital" is just irritating.

I'll do whatever I have to to get the image I want, even if I screw it up in-camera. If I can get the end result to my liking then who really has to know (and who really cares?) how underexposed/overexposed the original was? Seriously.

rexbobcat said:
^^^ This.

I've never used the darkroom but the almost-elitist attitude of "omg photography has just gotten worse sing PS and digital" is just irritating.

I'll do whatever I have to to get the image I want, even if I screw it up in-camera. If I can get the end result to my liking then who really has to know (and who really cares?) how underexposed/overexposed the original was? Seriously.

Ive gone back to film because digital is so bloody boring

gsgary said:
Ive gone back to film because digital is so bloody boring

I can understand this. I think that film can have feel a little more fulfilling like you're actually creating something organic.

Hence is why I'm trying to figure out how to do tintypes.

There is a dichotomy here because some people are looking at the process as some sort of challenge/fun/end point and others see the image as the end point.

I sometimes walk the 5.2 miles round trip to the grocery store because I want the exercise but that doesn't make the groceries taste any better.

I shot a lot of slide film and I kept most of them because they were often the only shots I had of a scene - because they cost 25 cents apiece - and I didn't like to throw away a quarter.On the whole, the best shots I had weren't nearly as good as my best shots now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back