What if someone have your photos in a facebook website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The little nonprofit art school/gallery has already consulted me what they going to do to the photos I submit to them. They put credit on my photos in the official Facebook page and a local newspaper. It is the staff member is a bit unorthodox the way she setup a Facebook page that is unofficial. I don't know how to talk to these people without getting upset. I'll check out the terms & conditions.

8e014bfd254b0d068639ebbe6fe8c66c.jpg

Too much???

Last edited:
"Dear *whoever it is*

I notice that you've started up a facebook fan page for the school/gallery looks great and hope it goes well! However I've noticed that you're using a few of my photos taken at *insert event name*. I've no problem with you using them to promote the event, same as the main school, but could you please credit me in the description and leave a link to my *insert website*.

Or something along those lines. Basically you're already ok with them using the photos for promotional purposes and since this is an extension of that same promotional concept chances are its a lot easier to just approach calmly and ask for crediting rather than kicking up a fuss. Sometimes you have to pick your fights and its sometimes better to come to a suitable compromise.

whatever you do don't threaten to kill them. I did that once and police showed up at my door a week later. Guy reported it from like four states away. Like i would really drive that far. Basically they told me to stop it or they would have to arrest me.

Just report to Facebook by clicking report button and when it ask for reason tell them copyright infringement.
pokies

Last edited:
Making threats I think is considered menacing and I think someone could be charged with a crime for it. So no, you probably don't want to do that!

It's understandable being upset about it, maybe wait til you can deal with it in a professional way. They may not realize everything the one staff person is doing on facebook - is it her own page or the art school's page? Seems like the photos you provide should be for use on their facebook page not on her personal page.

If she got them off your Flickr page then don't make that public anymore, set it just for people you know to be able to access it.

I just went through this on FB last week. At first i though i'd let it slide. That is, his not crediting me for the photo. But as the accolades kept pouring in for the great shot, and oh how beautiful it was, the guy couldn't help himself, he took credit for the pic. In fact he took credit more than once! That was it! There were three ways for me to go - the high road - PM him and ask him to take it down, the middle road, publically humiliate him, or the low road report him to FB. And, while humiliation may seem to be the lower road, in my view possibly getting him tossed from FB was the worst outcome.
He didn't respond well to my comments about the pic. Said I embarrassed him (yeah that can happen when you get caught in a lie) He took down the entire thread, so mission accomplished. Still swears he wasn't taking credit and didn't remove my name intentionally. OK, what ever gets you through the night!

I think the bottom line is;
* You volunteered to take pictures.
* You gave them to someone as a favor.
* The person who posted them, did not have the slightest thought at you would care if you received credit for them. For most folks they are just pictures.

As for the flickr shots, that may not be the case.

It is very difficult to prove that someone intentionally violated your copyright when they though they were in the public domain.

At this point I would ask ask them to add you credits to the photos.

Wow. 2014!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back