What if your are shooting a kid that hates the camera?

dhjallboyz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My 4yr old HATES it when I pull out the camera and will hide her face the whole time. How do you go about taking pics even if its just your kids if they hate having them taken? Here is an example of a GOOD shot (note my sarcasm) that I got of her. Usually I only get half of her face and its blurry. This one is of course over exposed and blown out at the bottom..not to mention blurry lol. Any suggestions??

emmie.jpg

i make it a game. don't bother trying to pose them or make them smile, get them playing. soon as they start playing it becomes a game. they forget about the camera as much and you can catch them.

Hmmm. Both of my girls are camera hogs so I'm not sure hah! I do a minimum of 1/125 ss for kids, preferably faster even if that means bumping the ISO. Try to not make her pose, just get her doing her thing for awhile.
I let my 4 year old shoot with my camera sometimes, and she has her own as well, so that might help with her ok-ness of being shot.

Was this shot in Auto like the last photo you posted? If you use manual you can set your shutter and get a better chance of actually capturing those quick moments since they are so rare lol.

Chloroform + Painting their eyelids to look like eyes. Works every time.

I am joking... But you could always bribe the child with ice cream or pizza after the shoot. Maybe even Ice Cream pizza... I dunno.

She shot it in Manual. 1/80, F7 ISO100

Last edited:
Shot in Manual 1/80 F7.1 ISO 100 50mm Fl

Make it fun! Involve her favorite toys! Use them as props! If there are siblings... have them ham it up, really praise them a lot (where she can see and hear) when they work with you! Get a funny hat to wear... it really helps with the kids... (like my furry leopard hat)!

dang it, Bossy! You kept it short.. and you beat me! :)

He shot it in Manual. 1/80, F7 ISO100
I'm actually a she but yes thanks for posting that :) You got to it before me :)

One thing I did learn on here is that when you are shooting anything alive, like people, children or pets, up your shutter speed :) Also, I have 2 boys that won't cooperate with the camera, but the practice photo sessions I have done on the girls they are hams. When I did the baby, I just keep shooting and talking sweet to her, catching cute moments:)

My 7yr old is a total ham...he LOVEs to have his picture taken. He tries to get her involved and she will have nothing to do with it. I will try the suggestions you guys gave thanks :)

gummie bears, cookies, ice cream, soda, etc....

Shot in Manual 1/80 F7.1 ISO 100 50mm Fl

Make it fun! Involve her favorite toys! Use them as props! If there are siblings... have them ham it up, really praise them a lot (where she can see and hear) when they work with you! Get a funny hat to wear... it really helps with the kids... (like my furry leopard hat)!

you have a furry leaopard hat?? I hope you meant for the kids :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back