What is a good (free) site to upload your pictures to?

Picasa Web albums.

I was wondering the same thing myself. I looked at Picasa, but I would like to see one in action. Judging from the pictures, I don't know if I like the layout of it. I'd personally rather not use flickr because you have to sign up for yahoo, but they have a clean layout.

just realized Nod had a picasa up, lol. looks nice, but can you organize them into "sets" like you can in flickr?

OP - I also know there's photobucket, but I feel like it's not as nicely laid out as flickr

Flickr, Picasa, DeviantART,Photobucket...

I prefer DeviantART because thats the first one I ever used and I know it the best. If you upload a BUNCH of photos, the upload process gets really annoying, really fast. If you upload a reasonable amount though, it wouldnt be a problem.

You can organize your photos in sets. Browsing the site is really easy, you can do a search or just go by category (And they have a BUNCH!)
Theres also a forum where you can show off your photos, along with just mingle with other members of the site.

Overall its a really cool site :p

any reason shutterfly has not been mentioned?

Should I run and hide for mentioning them? We used it in the past to host photos from my DD's softball teams.

Flickr, Picasa, DeviantART,Photobucket...

I prefer DeviantART because thats the first one I ever used and I know it the best. If you upload a BUNCH of photos, the upload process gets really annoying, really fast. If you upload a reasonable amount though, it wouldnt be a problem.

You can organize your photos in sets. Browsing the site is really easy, you can do a search or just go by category (And they have a BUNCH!)
Theres also a forum where you can show off your photos, along with just mingle with other members of the site.

Overall its a really cool site :p

Flickr has several different uploaders where you can batch upload and select to modify descriptions, tags, etc... for single files or multiple files. Very easy.

OP - I like flickr the best because of the communities. I have two with members that actively meet face to face. One is a small town that has members that do monthly meets and events and the other is a large group with over 600 members that meets out of DC/MD/NoVa area and does really cool events that focus around lighting. We've done meetups in high end office building in DC, minor league baseball stadiums, and even rented out a section of Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia.

Sign up for a couple and check out the extra features and go from there. They're all basically the same as hosting goes. Just make sure whatever site you choose supports the highest resolution you're going to want to upload and that they don't have compression methods that totally ruin a photo.

Photobucket was the first site I ever used to host photos and it's compression is terrible. It really eats up images you upload to it.

ababysean, what I do is download from my camera to Faststone, and I also have Picasa, after I work on my pics on Faststone, I switch over to Picasa and the processed pictures automatically load there, then I can upload them to Picasa Web Albums and there you can put them into sets. You can also have a folder there that is private if you want. By the way, I like Faststone for processing because it's easy to use and it's FREE !

I use photobucket. Whats fun is I share to my facebook account every time I upload a photo it immediately spams all my friends on facebook with the images, :lol:
I just got to remember no nudes.:blush2:

I have a shutterfly page, a photobucket page and a Flickr account. I ultimately ended up upgrading my flickr account because I liked being able to upload full resolution images and being able to have full control of who can view my images and who can download them. Also with Flickr the layout is quite simple and organizing your images is easy.
I use Photobucket for pictures of things I'm selling because the compression absolutely kills the image. but I don't care since people aren't going to try and view an image of a wrench full screen.
I use Shutterfly to share images of my daughter with my family because you can create a customized page but at the same time navigating it is not intuitive and I haven't found any privacy controls. Basically it looks like anyone can download, or order prints of my images. I have also bumped up against the file size limit with shutterfly a few times but that was with uncropped images from a 21.1mp camera.
I have found myself migrating all of my usage lately to Flickr which is why I finally decided to upgrade to a pay account. Besides, $25 dollars a year is cheap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back