What Is A Snapshot

makemyday.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapshot_(photography)
Articles - Are You Taking Snapshots? | iStock
"Snapshot Photography vs. Mindful Photography" by Jay Ryser | RedBubble
Philosophy of Photography: Photograph versus a Snapshot » JMG-Galleries – Jim M. Goldstein Photography
Robin Wong: Snapshots vs Photographs
Let me google that for you

THANK YOU, GAVE ME SOME GREAT LINKS AND GOOD READING

Papa... to me, a snapshot occurs when someone just frames and shoots something, without any thought given to it! A snapshot typically has no real subject, and no consideration given to lighting. Usually framing and composition are poor (or non-existent), and now attention was paid to WB or DOF use. Backgrounds are usually less than pleasing (busy, trees growing out of heads, etc). Often if there are people in the shots.. limbs are cut off, focus is questionable... that type of thing.

I went and looked at some of your shots ( http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/276541-snap-shots-c-c.html#post2532366) and as you can see, the first one has limbs cut off (big no no!).. and it would have been much improved by being shot in vertical format (Framing issue). Your second shot there, would have greatly benefited from some fill flash (lighting issue) and has her fingers cut off.

Labeling a thread as snapshots is not a good idea around here, as the word "snapshot" has negative connotations! :) Even a total beginner can take "non-snapshots", just by taking a moment to think about the shot, and how it can be improved!

Hope that helps! :)[/QUOTE

About Cut Off Limbs ..... Is there a defined rule in a composition about cut off limbs? I thought it was acceptable at the shin or thigh etc but not acceptable at a joint? I have to disagree with you about cut off limbs but thank you for your input it is appreciated:

We discuss this a lot. I posted the following in another post:

"
Snapshot - image taken because the opportunity presented itself.

Photograph - image constructed to showcase the subject, remove distracting elements (foreground, background) lighting chosen to emphasize the key aspects of the subject... As Keith said, there's prep work involved. And the technical stuff (focus placement, right amount of DOF, appropriate exposure for the subject, right focal length) is there to place the viewer's focus where it needs to be.
"

Even if you think about composition, etc. a good image is constructed. Take, for instance, even the presence of ambient light. We all know that the "quality" of the light greatly affects the end result. It is not uncommon for a photographer to come back to a specific location many times to get that special moment of appropriate light.

Good photographs distill the essence, and eliminate the superfluous. A good snapshot may capture much that is interesting, but on review, will show distracting elments, technical issues, etc. If you then go back and re-shoot, making specific adjustments to eliminate the negatives, and selecting those elements which contribute, you've moved the image-making from snapshot to photographs.

Snapshots often rely on the context for their meaning: it's YOUR kid, or someone YOU know, or someplace YOU really like. Take away the "YOU" and the viewer is left with... what? What clues have you as a photograher left in the image for a viewer to be able to relate to that image? That's the problem for most snapshots - they rely on the viewers knowing WHO the subject is, WHERE it is, and WHY the image was taken. And if you show the image to someone who has no such connection - what do they then grab onto?

I think this definition excludes many types of photography ie; photojournalism, sports photography, ect, ect. There are many times that you can not go back and have a reshoot and control all of the variables.

I never saw snapshot used as a dirty word until I came to this forum. I'm not sure why everyone over-analyzes it. To me it's a candid photo, nothing more. Whether it's a good or bad shot really has nothing to do with it IMO.

Canuk;2533593<snip> I think this definition excludes many types of photography ie; photojournalism said:
True dat. But there is still lots of prep that a photojournalist or sports photographer do prior to showing up on site. Scouting out the location and/or position, placing yourself to catch the moment, having the right lens and perhaps light source already prepared... those are all things that an experienced photographer does, that a snapshooter does not. Even at the moment of shooting, the experienced photographer will have checked the background and light direction to ensure that the subject stands out, whereas the snapshooter notices the background later...

Photography is a medium to express ourselves. A mean of communication. It is a matter-of-fact and snapshot. The rights and freedom of expression is essential to democracy. For those who live in the democratic world. We will only have freedoms if we exercise freedom. May I remind you of the people who gave their lives for the causes.

I can talk about this all day. To make it short, with no misunderstandings. And for the criminal minds, it does not mean you can hide behind free speech. For example, sexual interference against children under 16 is a crime. It is in the books. If you disagree with the law and you will have the freedom to speak-up.

Don’t stop me from taking a snapshot. Charge me you if it is a crime.

I know this subject can be subjective but what do you think means Snapshot is to you?

Some thoughts?

Is the word Snapshot a derogatory remark?

An informal picture taken of the spur of the moment?

Lack of thought to composition, exposure, lighting etc?

or are they just candid shots.

Moonrise by Ansel Adams was a spur of the moment out a car window, was that a snapshot?

The reason I ask also is because I posted 2 photos asking for C&C on my shapshots and received some remarks about calling them snapshots!

I would like to know what you think a SNAPSHOT is?

I never saw snapshot used as a dirty word until I came to this forum. I'm not sure why everyone over-analyzes it. To me it's a candid photo, nothing more. Whether it's a good or bad shot really has nothing to do with it IMO.

Nothing wrong with snapshots. I wrote some stuff on that here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photographic-discussions/238307-ode-snapshot.html, and LaFoto wrote: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...s/83357-here-s-snapshot-beware-long-read.html

The challenge is that when people post their snapshots and ask for critique, they often are surprised at the reaction, because they have not dissociated the image from the emotional involvement with the content that colors their perception. Many (maybe even most) of my shots are snapshots, but I will not post them as I know that they don't have any meaning to people outside my immediate circle. On the other hand, my family, for the most part, doesn't want to look at my art images - they want to see people they know and love.

Since I began studying photography my snapshots have changed. I used to just 'point and shoot'. Yes, I 'thought' about my image, I thought "I gotta capture this moment!" but that was about as far as I went. Now with almost every photo I take I think about background destractions, lighting, composition, my camera settings etc. The other day for example, my daughter was pretending to be a fairy 'flying' around the house ( I think you saw the thread). I knew I wanted to capture that moment but instead of just taking the photo of her in all her cuteness I went to a specific spot in my house where the lighting was the best and the background was more acceptable. I waited until she came across my path and 'snap' took a photo; then edited in lightroom. I still consider this a snapshot photo even though thought did go in to it. Although perhaps candid would be a better term? I personally do not think snapshot is derogetory term, just means a 'spur of the moment' photo; rather than specifically going out to shoot something. idk...:lol:

Nothing wrong with snapshots. I wrote some stuff on that here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photographic-discussions/238307-ode-snapshot.html, and LaFoto wrote: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...s/83357-here-s-snapshot-beware-long-read.html

The challenge is that when people post their snapshots and ask for critique, they often are surprised at the reaction, because they have not dissociated the image from the emotional involvement with the content that colors their perception. Many (maybe even most) of my shots are snapshots, but I will not post them as I know that they don't have any meaning to people outside my immediate circle. On the other hand, my family, for the most part, doesn't want to look at my art images - they want to see people they know and love.

Yes I hear what you're saying. I think it's appropriate to say "this is a snapshot" when someone is asking for critique on what they think is a portrait but it's not. More often than not though I feel like people say "this is a just snapshot" instead of actually critiquing what is wrong with the picture. To me that makes about as much sense as saying "oh this is just a landscape!" :lol:

Yes I hear what you're saying. I think it's appropriate to say "this is a snapshot" when someone is asking for critique on what they think is a portrait but it's not. More often than not though I feel like people say "this is a just snapshot" instead of actually critiquing what is wrong with the picture. To me that makes about as much sense as saying "oh this is just a landscape!" :lol:

Well I thought when you ask for C&C that is what you are asking, What is wrong with this photo????? Nothing more that is what I wanted in a nut shell, As you stated: What are the problems with my Master Piece !! :lmao: no more snapshots, because I get slap shots lol

Last edited:
Well, I will NEVER use the WORD SNAPSHOT for C&C on this site, that is a given!!!!

Snapshot is a recorded memory -

On TPF , a snapshot is a recorded memory with little or no preparation, consideration or thought given to the to atributes of a photographic style (ie lighting, background, exposure, framing, etc etc)

Snapshot is a recorded memory -

On TPF , a snapshot is a recorded memory with little or no preparation, consideration or thought given to the to atributes of a photographic style (ie lighting, background, exposure, framing, etc etc)

I can not believe NO THOUGHT goes into a snap shot, maybe the dictionary does say so but in real life is different i believe.

Thank you for you reply

What Is A Snapshot
I took a shot of a snap. Would that be considered a snapshot or a snap shot?

i-dN7qTp5-XL.jpg

Very nice shot of a SNAP , well done and yes that is a snap shot for sure or maybe a shotsnap, well it is well done with a thought and effort in mind so no it is a MASTER PIECE :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back