What is in terminology. Fuji calls medium format "Large Format" while advertising a small sized MF sensor

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So a few days ago I was hunting information on Fuji cameras because my little X-M1 is acting up.
So looking into the latest propaganda from Fuji displays (perhaps to the US market, IDK) this idea that the new GFX series MF cameras are actually Large Format.

What is Fuji up to?

The following is my opinion:

Changing terminology for marketing sake is a VERY BAD idea in getting general consumers into a belief system that Medium Format is Large Format to sell something is opening people up to serious ridicule. This idea is born out of modern education in that they assume people are stupid.
Trying to redefine a medium format system to"Large Format" is no only a bad idea, it shows that they hold you in contempt. Thinking you are stupid enough to buy this argument.

We are seeing the end result of Americans being "Dumbed down" for various reasons, but using the Sackler Family template of controlling the narrative to pitch a product is again in my opinion a bad idea.
To Fuji, what they hell is wrong with you guys?
Why do you have to alter the narrative to sell a product?

GFX System | Fujifilm [United States]

Soocom, lets face it, it's the only way Fuji can sell a camera these days and that's to an unsuspecting beginner!
Fuji has jumped onto the Ski bandwagon. Remember when a black diamond run was a black diamond run? Now there are double black diamonds. Last time I skied one, turns out it was the very same run! Wassup wit dat!?!
SS

Is it a matter of dumbing people down, or having to redefine "a better photographic format"?

At my age small format is 35mm or less, medium format 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 or 120 format and large format is a 4"x 5" or larger film. It has been the way for for over a century.

Now try to explain todays, partial frame sensor, vs a full frame sensor, and their relationship to the race for more megapixels; to someone who just wants buy a decent camera. So the camera industry keeps it simple; "bigger is better".

Now add to this the fact that post processing has also redefined what is "better". Better often seems to be the what the latest technology can produce both in the camera, or on the computer.

The most popular selling camera, is the cell phone. It does what most folks want automatically, with increasingly better performance. That is tough competition for any camera company.

I think this is Fuji marketing trying to make their MF camera seem better, by relabeling them LARGE format.
"Large format creates powerful pictures."

I've always had problem with medium format sensors.
Cuz like @Grandpa Ron , I am film based.
So for me LF was 4x5 inch and larger, MF = 2-1/4 square or larger (6x6, 6x7 or 6x9).
Whereas for sensor MF seems to be "larger than FF 24x36."

film:
- 2-1/4 square or 6x6 = 56x56
- 6.5x4.5 56x42 (in my mind, 6.5x4.5 felt like half-frame 35mm, a cropped 6x6. And it forced you to rotate the camera. ).

sensors:
- Hasselblad MF H6D-100C sensor = 53x40 (this is close to 6.5x4.5 film image size, but still not 56x56)
- Hasselblad MF X1D sensor = 44x33 (to me this was like a MF crop sensor, yes larger than 24x36 but still smaller than 56x56)
- GFX sensor = 44x33 (same size as the Hasselblad X1D sensor)

But they have yet to get up to a 56x56 sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back