What is the best alternative to a Nikkor AF-S DX 10-24mm?

azzkikr9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been meaning to purchase a Nikon AF-S DX 10-24mm Nikkor lense but end up getting outbid at the last minute. Sometimes I thank my lucky stars that I didnt drop 700 on this lens, I get frustrated that Nikon lenses are so damn expensive.

I own a D5000, that's right, I'm an amateur at best right now. I've got an 18-200mm AF-S DX Nikkor, but would like something at the wider angle as my main subject will be cars.

Is there a lense out there that will support all the mechanisms that the Nikkor will support on my D5000?? I've seen reviews for Sigma and Tokina lenses but I'd rather ask the pro's or experienced photographers here.

Anyone have a 10-24mm AF-S DX Nikkor for less than $600? lol.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I've heard many good reviews for the Sigma 10-20mm.

Quality glass is worth the money, and camera makers glass is not reverse engineered like the 3rd party stuff so forward compatibility is more assured.

I bought a like new, used AF-S 12-24mm f/4G for $650 off of amazon.com from a private seller about a year ago.

There are 3 of the AF-S 12-24 mm f/4G's listed on Amazon right now for $600, $664.99, and $665 with the last offered by the very reputable used camera gear seller, KEH.com

Quality glass is worth the money, and camera makers glass is not reverse engineered like the 3rd party stuff so forward compatibility is more assured.

I bought a like new, used AF-S 12-24mm f/4G for $650 off of amazon.com from a private seller about a year ago.

There are 3 of the AF-S 12-24 mm f/4G's listed on Amazon right now for $600, $664.99, and $665 with the last offered by the very reputable used camera gear seller, KEH.com

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the 12-24 lenses on ebay going for between 500-650. However, I'm really interested in getting a 10-24mm lense. At first I thought I would go for the 12-24 Nikkor, but after going over to ken rockwell and reading the review on the 10-24 Nikkor I decided that is the one I want. I know 2mm may not seem like a lot, but it makes a helluva difference in ones shots.

I will do more research on the sigma...and will hope that I find a 10-24 Nikkor for $600 or less if by some miracle.

Thanks again for the replies.

Yep for bang for the buck I don't think the Siggy 10-20 can be beat. As used can find for $350'ish. Use it for awhile and determine if you will be using enough to determine if you need a constant wide like f2.8 or f4. Or wanting needing the extra 4mm of the 10-24. Then you can always sell it to step up to next best UWA. But many find the Sigma 10-20 fits most of what they want in a wide.

Had one for a bit and had to sell to pay medical bills. And saving for a used one myself.

I know 2mm may not seem like a lot, but it makes a helluva difference in ones shots.
So does having a constant aperture lens.

Be careful with Ken Rockwells information. As long as it is specs and math you're safe. Anything that is an opinion has to be taken with a grain of salt.

From Kens' "About" page:
[SIZE=+3]Caveat Lector![/SIZE] (reader beware!)​

I do this site for fun. It is my personal website. I do this site all by myself. This site is provided only for the entertainment of our kids and our dogs.....Please don't believe anything you read anywhere on this website. Although most of the technical information is probably true most of the time, the rest is all pretend. I love to fool around, pretend, and make things up.
My emphasis in the quote.​

So does having a constant aperture lens

+1

As far as KR is concerned, I take his website in the same vein as I do with the reading material I take to the toilet. Light entertainment as I ready myself for a dump. :lol:

I know 2mm may not seem like a lot, but it makes a helluva difference in ones shots.
So does having a constant aperture lens.

Be careful with Ken Rockwells information. As long as it is specs and math you're safe. Anything that is an opinion has to be taken with a grain of salt.

From Kens' "About" page:
[SIZE=+3]Caveat Lector![/SIZE] (reader beware!)​

I do this site for fun. It is my personal website. I do this site all by myself. This site is provided only for the entertainment of our kids and our dogs.....Please don't believe anything you read anywhere on this website. Although most of the technical information is probably true most of the time, the rest is all pretend. I love to fool around, pretend, and make things up.
My emphasis in the quote.​

Will definitely heed your advice KmH.

Thank you to all for your replies and suggestions/advice. I'm still getting acclimated to the language, technical terms and such of my new hobby. I'm sure there is a big lerning curve and as much as I would love to be self taught, I'm sure I'll have to get a few books on what's the proper way to use a camera and understanding exposure. Granted this wont make me a photographer, but it will at least get me comfortable using my camera.

Most reactions

Back