What is the best camera with good smooth AF and 4K in video ?

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this might not be a pure DSLR video question.
What would you recommend is the camera with the best auto focus in video and does 4K ?
Budget is a definite issue so no 5D IV
I know the G7 is a great little video camera but its video AF isn't impressive.
Maybe a6300 ?

I wish the 80D had 4K, this would make me get a Canon (I know blasphemy coming from a Nikon guy).

Doesn't the iPhone have 4k support as other phone cameras ?

The A6300 and above has 4k video

Canon makes a few including a 4k video camera that double as a fixed image camera .. kinda. I tried it and the camera part was bad.

The nikon d5 and D500 too.

I've got an a6300 and love both the focus and shooting 4k.

It also has the ability to save two files when recording video: a 4k copy and a 720 copy. I use the 720 files to edit, then use the 4k for final production.

The a6300 would be good, but isn't stabilized, so you'd have to keep that in mind when looking at lenses. The 18-105 was designed for video, it has an internal power zoom and OSS. The SEL 50 1.8 (APS-C version, not FE version) is also a favorite for video because it also has OSS if you need the wider aperture. The autofocus on that one is much faster since the firmware update, though still not perfect.

The a6500 adds on IBIS and a touchscreen, although most say the touchscreen is somewhat laggy, so touch-to-focus in video might now be quite as seamless as you'd hope.

It also has the ability to save two files when recording video: a 4k copy and a 720 copy. I use the 720 files to edit, then use the 4k for final production.
So the A6300 auto focus in video is smooth and not hunty/jumpy like in other non Canon (70D/80D) cameras ?

So the A6300 auto focus in video is smooth and not hunty/jumpy like in other non Canon (70D/80D) cameras ?

Since I don't shoot Canon, I really can't compare them. But the focus transitions I do get are very smooth. Sometimes I have to replay the clip to convince myself the focus changed.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take some footage and let you decide.

Since I don't shoot Canon, I really can't compare them. But the focus transitions I do get are very smooth. Sometimes I have to replay the clip to convince myself the focus changed.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take some footage and let you decide.
Awesome, thx :)

Pardon the jerkiness, but I'm an old geezer and it's cold out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back