what is the best editing program

roaddogg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
what is the best editing program everyone say your opinion

There is no 'best' program. If there was, it would be the only one on the market.

Most complete: photoshop
free: gimp

you can get lightroom, aperture, or photoshop elements, each of which is kind of a watered down version of photoshop. I hear lightroom is really great for mass editing

I will pretty much always use Photoshop, but with a recent hard drive crash and the disappearance of my PS discs I've been using Gimp, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it really is. Especially for being free.

Speaking of the hard drive crash, no matter what program you use don't just back your photo's up on your main computer. If you don't have an external drive then burn them to discs. It's a pain, but I'm glad I did it. I was in the middle of editing a wedding I did and if I didn't triple back up I would be in a hot mess right now instead of just finishing. Off topic, but bringing it up made me think about it.

I'm trying the demo version of Lightroom and so far it's impressive. Lots of control for editing photos.

every software is good if you know to use it...

but Photoshop, lightroom, aperture are some professional softwares

Blake,

Just call adobe and get a new liscense for your photoshop software. I had the same issues last week, and they took care of my problem immediately.

I would second your back up notice , i always keep 4 external drives for backing up , including word docs. etc. It is tedious to rebuild a computer with all that info, but easier than having nothing. I rarely keep any photos (other than what i am currently working on) on the working computer.

The one you know how to use.

Hah! Gimp is wonderful and intuitive, but it's lack of 16 bit support truly sucks. Photoshop is much more powerful, but much less user friendly. I find doing rough edits in Gimp then spending hours of head scratching trying to achieve the same effects in Pshop.

Hard to answer this. CS5 is a given but there are also great additional plugins that are helpful depending on the type of photography that you do.

Most reactions

Back