What is the best system for labeling photo DVDs?

James F

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have read much discussion regarding the best way to put professional quality labels on DVD faces. Unfortunately I only hear the good qualities of the various methods available. I would like to know the negative aspects of such DVD labeling systems out there. I use both Mac and PC computers so either OS compatible labeling method is acceptable. I make about 50-100 DVDs per month. Thanks in advance TPF pros!

Being a computer tech for over 12 years I have had a lot of experience with blank media. Here are my suggestions from a technical and reliable point of view from experience.

You are better off using a DVD that you can directly print on, or order pre-printed blank media.

You DO NOT want to use a printable label that you stick on the disk. The reason being is that when you stick the label on the disk you un-balance the disk causing it to wiggle when the DVD player reads it, which can cause it to skip. Another reason is that over time, this sticker can come loose inside DVD players and ruin them.

I have not looked to see which DVDs are printable, but keep an eye on the quality of the DVD that you use as well. Quality can make a HUGE difference weather your DVD plays on a DVD player if you are making a video DVD. The type of DVD can make a difference as well (DVD-R, +R). Here is a great DVD quality guide to go by. Personally, I use TDK branded DVDs, but they are not printable.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I use lightscribe occasionally, but the downside is that the disks are always a golden colour, and the laser engraving isn't colour, its just black on the gold background. Probably not too good for larger scale jobs like you (OP) need.

The issue I have with lightscribe is that I can't find Archival quality Gold with it. DVD-Rs lifespan are generally not that great... CD-Rs are better. Gold versions increase the life of either (more so for CD-R golds)

I don't have a goos solution, but I know my handwriting with a sharpie looks like crap. Is there some kind of printable label that works like an iron-on tee shirt, but For DVDs? I Know for etching your own copper circuit boards its easy enough to print using a laser printer and then transfer the toner to the board by ironing, but I'm pretty sure a CD cannot take the heat. There has to be a similar product available, Right?

pre printed blank media always seems the best option to me :)

Are these of archival quality? If so I say none, at least not on the disc surface. I have heard the best way to label is to write on the little plastic pickup ring in the centre.

Now I'm not sure if this is also true for acid free / archival markers but especially on cheaper media an area which is lightscribed, embossed, has glue on it, or is otherwise not carefully handled is usually the first to go. That said I live in Australia and our climate can be somewhat harsh at times, which could also explain why I've never had a burnt CD, other than a few archive quality ones stored in a cupboard with silicagel, last longer than about 2-4 years.

I put the DVD in a DVD envelope with printing on the envelope. I just write the contents with a sharpie on the DVD.

If I find I am getting enough DVD requests then I might go for the pre-printed route. It's expensive though at $800 for 1,000 disks. On the other hand it is a tax write-off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back