what is the best tethering software and etc

Mashburn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am doing a cheer competition where there is hundreds of acts, and each act I will be taking 200 pictures. The job wants it tethered and they use Nikon Camera Control 2. but I was wondering is there anything faster out there?

what is the best cord? I shoot on a D7000 and D7200.

Also is there any way I can backup RAW to my card, and only send Small JPG to the computer?

Can't comment on Nikon Camera Control but you could download a 14 day free trial version of ControlMyNikon > ControlMyNikon | Finest Nikon DSLR tethering and Nikon remote control

You can set it to write to the card (or not) and a folder. I shoot mostly product and the raw preview is up within seconds...

For a cord, if you need something longer than what comes with your camera > Tether Tools

Cheers, Don

Thanks guys. I was actually wondering the same thing. Good to know.

Software: This

It is also a better piece of production and DAMN software then Lightroom.

I tried Capture One Pro for tethering and went back to ControlMy Nikon :)

And it's $300 vs $40...

Cheers, Don
Yep it's not cheap, but then it also replaces lightroom. I am guessing that was a while back when you tested it. Will Control My Nikon let you create a connection with an iPad that shows the same live view as on the computer and allow you full control of the camera with the ipad as well as the computer? It a feature they call Capture Pilot. That is one of the outstanding newer features. My iPad becomes my remote trigger. I don't need to be at the computer, I still see have WYSIWYG and can be anywhere in range. Some features do depend upon the body you are shooting.

It all comes down to personal choice and I could never get Control My Nikon to work with my Canon bodies. :biggrin-93:

Yep it's not cheap, but then it also replaces lightroom. I am guessing that was a while back when you tested it. Will Control My Nikon let you create a connection with an iPad that shows the same live view as on the computer and allow you full control of the camera with the ipad as well as the computer? It a feature they call Capture Pilot. That is one of the outstanding newer features. My iPad becomes my remote trigger. I don't need to be at the computer, I still see have WYSIWYG and can be anywhere in range. Some features do depend upon the body you are shooting.

It all comes down to personal choice and I could never get Control My Nikon to work with my Canon bodies. :biggrin-93:

So nice to see a Canon user helping a Nikon guy with tethering :icon_hug:

BTW > I also tried Lightroom and didn't care for the UI !

An iPad for control ?

The reason I use ControlMyNikon is because the camera screen is TOO SMALL, ditto with your little apple toy ! :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers, Don

An iPad for control ?

The reason I use ControlMyNikon is because the camera screen is TOO SMALL, ditto with your little apple toy ! :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers, Don
Yep it is nice. I have live view on the 27" iMac as well as the iPad or iPhone. I can make any adjustments I want from the iMac or right there with my subject and see them real time. Much better than holding a little button for a remote and running back and forth wasting shoe leather.

Can't comment on Nikon Camera Control but you could download a 14 day free trial version of ControlMyNikon > ControlMyNikon | Finest Nikon DSLR tethering and Nikon remote control

You can set it to write to the card (or not) and a folder. I shoot mostly product and the raw preview is up within seconds...

For a cord, if you need something longer than what comes with your camera > Tether Tools

Cheers, Don
Than you for that website. that helps me see what all options of different areas to look at. I really appreciate that.

I tried Capture One Pro for tethering and went back to ControlMy Nikon :)

And it's $300 vs $40...

Cheers, Don
how was your speed for it uploading? Just because I will be needing the fastest due to me taking a 100 pictures in 3 minutes. and needing it uploaded to another computer for the clients to view it and possibly purchase.

I doubt you will find any software that will handle 100 photos in 3 minutes from shutter press, to record to transfer buffer rate. My upload speed is fine. I have never had to stop in the middle of a shoot to wait, but then I'm not spray shooting either.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of factors that go into tethering not the least of which is that usb 2.0, which most bodies use , only has a speed of 480 megabits per second.

how was your speed for it uploading? Just because I will be needing the fastest due to me taking a 100 pictures in 3 minutes. and needing it uploaded to another computer for the clients to view it and possibly purchase.

Just ran a test for you, three full seconds for the preview to come up...

So more like five minutes for 100 images. Still faster than clients can view :)

I totally forgot about Digicam Control, it's free too :)

Easy to use, free solution for complex camera control | digiCamControl

Cheers, Don
I'm not really looking for free, just because I know that means there is somethings they are cutting out on. I do not mind spending the money for the best, due to me wanting the best.

Both programs have similar features, just different UI's.

I have the last version of ControlMyNikon which does not support my D7200. I don't use that body often but when I need/want to, I use digiCamControl.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back