what is the best tethering software and etc

I have a D750 and a Dell inspiron 17 i7 touchscreen with 16 gb ram. I just purchased ControlMyNikon for 29.00. It is awesome. It works like a live view with touchscreen camera. I touch the spot on the screen I want to focus on and the camera responds instantly. I can control f/stops, light balance, shutter speed, and ISO from the computer. I have spent a lot more than $29 on stuff and not gotten near as useful a product.

Honestly in a situation like this, you're better off swapping cards and having someone transfer the images off of them after every cheer finishes.

Tethering is still to slow and clunky for my liking, and is more for slow studio work than fast paced event photography.

Honestly in a situation like this, you're better off swapping cards and having someone transfer the images off of them after every cheer finishes.

Tethering is still to slow and clunky for my liking, and is more for slow studio work than fast paced event photography.
I agree. but it is not up to me, it is up to the company. Yet they have no set software.

I agree. but it is not up to me, it is up to the company. Yet they have no set software.
Then let them buy it. That way they will pay for something that in all likely hood won't be up to their expectations .

Then let them buy it. That way they will pay for something that in all likely hood won't be up to their expectations .
As much as I agree. Not my place to make demands. They pay 350$ as a freelancer for cheer events per day.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

As much as I agree. Not my place to make demands. They pay 350$ as a freelancer for cheer events per day.

Respectfully, I disagree. They're hiring you for your photography skill and knowledge. As such, they should be open to your input on how the photography aspects would run more smoothly.

Shooting tethered for an event like that is, frankly, asenine and counter productive. Swapping cards every 10 minutes would make more sense.

And therein lies the problem. They know about cheer events. They don't know jack $#!& about photography. You have to educate them as to what is possible and what it not. They can take it or leave it but the responsibility falls on them. Obviously if what they want was possible they would be using the person that has been providing the service.

Respectfully, I disagree. They're hiring you for your photography skill and knowledge. As such, they should be open to your input on how the photography aspects would run more smoothly.

Shooting tethered for an event like that is, frankly, asenine and counter productive. Swapping cards every 10 minutes would make more sense.
I'm not able to swap cards ever ten minutes. I'm stuck at the stage, and the next event starts just seconds as the other one is stepping off.

And the booth is usually halls away.

And therein lies the problem. They know about cheer events. They don't know jack $#!& about photography. You have to educate them as to what is possible and what it not. They can take it or leave it but the responsibility falls on them. Obviously if what they want was possible they would be using the person that has been providing the service.
After I've worked with them more than a few events I'll open my mouth.

But they have computers from the 90s. They have not updated anything.

After I've worked with them more than a few events I'll open my mouth.

But they have computers from the 90s. They have not updated anything.

The time to open you mouth is NOW not later. If you can't meet their over-inflated expectations now they will not be in a position to listen later. They will just decide that you can't do the job and move on to someone else that can't do the job either. They however will not have the guts to swallow their pride and come back at a later date and admit they are wrong.

I'm not able to swap cards ever ten minutes. I'm stuck at the stage, and the next event starts just seconds as the other one is stepping off.

Presumably, they have more than one person working the booth?

Perfect, they can run and get cards. How are you shooting tethered from a few halls away, anyhow? Super long USB cable? Just seems like a stupid setup.

Sports illustrated hires dedicated card runners for professional sporting events for a VERY good reason. I assure you that if tethering was a viable option, they'd much rather do that than pay more people.

Perfect, they can run and get cards. How are you shooting tethered from a few halls away, anyhow? Super long USB cable? Just seems like a stupid setup.

Sports illustrated hires dedicated card runners for professional sporting events for a VERY good reason. I assure you that if tethering was a viable option, they'd much rather do that than pay more people.
I don't get it honestly. So I shoot teethered to my computer. Then right after all the pictures go into the file for that act, I send it to the network.

The network cable goes to a hub that could be 100-500 feet away to a booth. And then it goes out to all the computers set up throughout the facility. Which is where parents can go and purchase images.

The thing that really sucks is because they want speed and they have 20 photographers throughout the venue. So that means you have to send small JPEG. Which you know that sucks for quality. And if people start doing better quality, it slows the system down really bad.

First off Sports illustrated doesn't have staff photographers any longer. Secondly they are not a daily publication so that sort of speedy turn around was not needed.

First off Sports illustrated doesn't have staff photographers any longer. Secondly they are not a daily publication so that sort of speedy turn around was not needed.

Maybe that's not how they do it these days, but it's how they once did. At least for football:

Most reactions

Back