What is the best way to get noticed?

ifoundnemo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Successful photographers: what is the best way to get your photos noticed? I've been posting my photos up on websites such as National Geographic and 500px. What are some tips to get noticed?

What is your background in photography? Experience, equipment, etc. It's hard to give you a real answer without also seeing some of your images. I'm guessing that if you're asking the question, you don't have much experience yet.

I could use the easy answer on how to get noticed. Run naked down the street yelling, "I own a camera"

Adding images to 500px, they would also have to be exceptional as they have over 50,000,000 images on file. I don't know much about either site you mentioned, only what I read, I can only assume that National Geo is much the same, millions of images.

Last edited:
There are lots of great photographers that are not well known. One thing that could help being "noticed" is to create relationships with others in the biz. Make friends, support each other, grow together. SHARE YOU WORK!!!! :)

It would also help to know who you would like to get noticed by.

Most photographers that get 'noticed' spend years making high high quality photographs, doing self-promotion, and self advertising before getting noticed.
In other words you have to market yourself to those you want to 'notice' you.

If you aspire to be a freelance photographer for National Geographic -
We are often asked by aspiring photojournalists for advice about entering this highly competitive field.

National Geographic photographers have college degrees in a variety of disciplines. Most did not major in photography, but all took photo courses. The most common majors have been journalism, anthropology, sociology or psychology, fine arts, and sciences. Our editors and photographers agree that it is important to complete a degree in a discipline other than photography. Freelancers usually come to us with at least five years of photojournalism experience or with specializations such as wildlife, underwater, nature, or aerial photography. We seek balance and an eclectic blend of interests, abilities, and photographic styles in the freelancers we hire.

Last edited:
What do you mean by self promotion and self advertising? Would that be making a social media account such as Instagram, or more something like sending photos to various websites/magazines?

"It's not what you know, but who you know"

I think you really need to post some of your very best work here, at least a couple of images. You may get a much better advice. The thing is at a certain stage it is wiser to stay UNnoticed.

What do you mean by self promotion and self advertising? Would that be making a social media account such as Instagram, or more something like sending photos to various websites/magazines?

WHO, exactly, would you like to get noticed by?

Perhaps you should contact those people.

Another way to get your name out there and noticed, check with local cafes, gift shops and craft barns in your area that display the works of local artists in the area. Show them a portfolio of some of your images and see if they would be willing to hang one or two of your images. That's what I did.

The key questions are: WHO do you want to be noticed by, WHY do you want them to notice you, and WHAT do you do if/when you succeed in getting their attention?

Another way to get your name out there and noticed, check with local cafes, gift shops and craft barns in your area that display the works of local artists in the area. Show them a portfolio of some of your images and see if they would be willing to hang one or two of your images. That's what I did.
How has this worked out for you?

How has this worked out for you?

Not too badly. I'm lucky in that I live in an area where there are lots of shops and cafes that display local artists and I've sold several photos and I have repeat buyers. When Someplace displays one or more of my photos I of course leave business cards at the site. I don't consider myself to actually be a business however, since I only sell the odd piece like an artist who sells a painting now and again. I also donate prints in the form of note cards with contact info on the backs of them, to the local cancer center for their gift basket auctions. Proceeds go to the charity, "Relay for Life". Its enough for me and it helps people to learn of my work, which is all I'm really interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back