WHat is the biggest Acceptable Quality Print with a Smartphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fantastic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys,

Im a photography oldie but a smartphone newbie, In your experience what is the biggest acceptable display quality print do you get with the most recent crop of smartphones? Can it go A3+ (13" x 19")
Thank you very much for your replies. :)

How many MPs and which phone?

It depends. Many cell phone cameras are 12mp at a 16:9 aspect ratio or produce images roughly 4620 x 2600 pixels. Let's ignore jpg compression for a minute. Higher quality prints use about 300 pixels per inch for a 15 1/2" x 8" print, but many people are happy with prints using 120 pixels per inch for a 38 1/2" x 21 3/4" print. jpg is a lossy compression algorithm that really don't allow the user to get to use the full 4620x2600 pixels that comes from the sensor, so the numbers above are best case. My phone allows you to set some parameters around the quality of the pictures, so you will want to set it to higher quality if you are planning to print your images, which means bigger files.

Guys,

Im a photography oldie but a smartphone newbie, In your experience what is the biggest acceptable display quality print do you get with the most recent crop of smartphones? Can it go A3+ (13" x 19")
Thank you very much for your replies. :)
From my iPhone11ProMax shooting in raw using the full available DR “overhead” full frame prints of exceptional image quality up to 24” x 36” are routinely achieved. The app for raw capture and raw conversion /processing I use is Lightroom Mobile.
Dave

This year smartphones with nearly 50 megapixels have come out. So this would allow for larger printers.

But as nearly 100% of all photos from smartphones are displayed on smartphones, social networks and maybe emails then these are tuned for that medium.

OP has left the building; nothing more here to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back