Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For some reasn my Googlefu is lacking today, and my remembery is NOT remembering... does anyone know what the actual ISO # is that references the standards for sensor sensitivity?

Are you just trying to get points for the leaderboard? Had to wonder what you meant, wanting know the ISO for ISO...

Last edited:
Doing a lecture on exposure, and I like to be able to explain that "ISO" in and of itself is nothing more than a standard, like ISO 9001...

International Organization for Standardization.

Are you just trying to get points for the leaderboard? Had to wonder what you meant, wanting know the ISO for ISO...
Well heck, if that's all it takes then what is the ASA for ASA?????:allteeth:

Iron, if you can put the lecture off until after the elections President Obama might have a tele-prompter he can let go cheap. :biglaugh:

I have a photographic memory for details like this... but the images keep coming out black. ;-)

I have a photographic memory for details like this... but the images keep coming out black. ;-)
Thats what happens when your developer gets old.
black-negative-film-10480560.jpg

I've put some new stuff in the mail to you.
5054184_Kodak_50L_Tmax_RS_bottles_s.jpg

When did they start spelling ASA as "ISO"?

Native ISO is a completely different story. For MOST of you it's 100. Some of you it's 50. Mine's 25... for some odd reason. The other native ISO is probably referring to the sensitivity of the paint in aboriginal cave paintings.

Peeb, about the same time they stopped spelling it DIN.

OK, in the off chance you or anyone else may really want to know, DIN was the German abbreviation and is on some of my old cameras - don't ask me to remember what it stands for, it's in German! ASA was American (Standards Association) and ISO is International (Standards Organization).

I think there were other measures of light sensitivity too in early photography that eventually dropped out of use.

Okay, I have to mention something funny.

A while ago I was watching a photography "know how" video on YouTube just because I thought it was going to be interesting and sure enough, it was.

The guy would change the ISO and actually, yes, actually say International Standards Organization 400, 640, 800, etc. It cracked me up. Could you imagine talking to a photo buddy like that. "Yeah! I had to change my International Standards Organization to 6400 to take that shot!" Hahahaha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back