What's new

What is the photo technique

stone_family3

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
349
Reaction score
2
Location
Columbus Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
where you take several pictures over time and overlap the layers. It gives the photo a sort of eerie and cool effect.

Is there are specific time frame you're supposed to take the picture over? What's the average frames taken?
 
Yes, the specific time frame determines what the final image looks like.

The time frame will also be determined by the speed the subject is moving.

The time frame may be such that you need to take 10 shots in 1 second or 1 shot every 10 seconds, or more.
 
I think you're talking about HDR (High Dynamic Range).
Take three or more photos at different exposures.

You should set the camera to Aperture priority and take 1 image at 0EV, one at +2 and one at -2. Better yet 5 exposures at 0, +1, +2, -1, -2.
Take them one after another and use a tripod.
When you combine these shots with the correct software you see all the details from the deepest shadows to the brightest highlight.

Lots of people get carried away with the effect and to me it looks like the airbrushed imaged you see on the side of a pickup truck, but it's just personal taste.
 
Ok HDR.

How many exposures and the EV steps between each depends on the dynamic range of the scene you want to image.

An HDR requires at least 3 exposures, and could require 9 or more.

The multiple exposures then may require individual processing and well as post processing of the combined images.

To keep the DOF constant is all the exposures most shooters use manual mode or aperture priority mode.

Some cameras have an auto bracketing feature that can rapidly make several exposures. Three is usually the least number of exposures auto bracketing can make, but better cameras can do as many as 9.

Once you have your bracketed exposures you then decide if you will just exposure blend them or if you will tone map them.

There is software specifically designed for combining multiple HDR exposures like Photomatix from www.hdrsoft.com.
 
I found Photoshop CS5, HRD Pro, to be very good.
I made the mistake of buying the Tone Mapping plug-in a couple of years ago instead of Photomatrix Pro. I never got good results with.
 
tone mapping is what is done after the images have been merge. it is the only way one can see what the results are.
 
Right. In CS3 (never had CS4) you merge to HDR in Bridge and past that PS didn't offer much without something like HDRSofts' tone mapping.

The problem I had was it seemed over complicated and unpredictable in the results, and when you handed it back to PS you (I) would get something completely different than you (I) wanted.

That was my experience and I admit I didn't put much effort into figuring it out.
I wasn't that interested.
HDR Pro in CS5 is something else though.
Very intuitive and good results.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom