What's new

What is this lens (I can't find what its worth)

cerick01

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am hoping someone can help me determine what this lens is worth? I am a beginner just starting out and I have not idea what things are worth.

SO here goes.


Its a Tamron 400 f5.6 and looks pretty old. I am looking for something for nature etc. The price for it is $100.00 used. It was used on an old Canon 630. Is it worth it? I just spent about 30 minutes on Google and it looks more like the Sigma than Tamron. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

p926516829-4.jpg

p633128236-4.jpg

p683281574-
p683281574-4.jpg



Thanks!
Chad
 
$100 is probably a reasonable price for the lens, but at f5.6 it may be a bit slow for a lot of nature work. As it's an older lens, you'll also need to determine whether or not it will function on your body (I'm sure one of the Canon shooters here can help you).
 
If it was used on the Canon EOS 630, then it will mount to any modern Canon EOS body. If it auto focused on that camera, it should work on a modern Canon as well...but there is a chance that it won't and would need to be re-chipped for that to work. Although, manual focus may be easy enough.
 
Yes, that is a Sigma AF 400mm f/5.6.
It is not the APO version.
$100.00 is a low price for that lense.

It is not the sharpest fixed 400mm ... but the price is right.
 
What body do you have? I have a mid 90's Sigma 100-300 (referred to as my crap-a-photo) which is fully functional on my 350D, but won't AF on my 50D. Not that I'd use it anyway as that would require finding something else to prop up the short leg of the couch...
 
which is fully functional on my 350D, but won't AF on my 50D
Really? Is there an explanation for that?
 
What body do you have? I have a mid 90's Sigma 100-300 (referred to as my crap-a-photo) which is fully functional on my 350D, but won't AF on my 50D. Not that I'd use it anyway as that would require finding something else to prop up the short leg of the couch...

I'll give you $5 and a block of wood for your couch for it.
 
which is fully functional on my 350D, but won't AF on my 50D
Really? Is there an explanation for that?

I'm sure there is, I've never researched it as it's a junk lens and I just don't care. I'm not the only person who's run into this issue with older lenses. I'm guessing Canon tweaks their protocols from time to time? I'm certain someone here has the answer.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom