What is wrong with this b&w?

mommy22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This doesn't look right to me but I can't figure out what it is that is wrong...help?
Keri6weeksbw.jpg

And while I'm at it, does my little one look jaundiced to you? (she shouldn't be):
keri4.jpg

oh, and any C&C is welcome too...

Thanks,
Khristina

She does look a bit jaundiced.

BW - play with various color tones. It'll improve your image.

I just took pictues of a newborn today and to get the color right was really hard and actually I don't know if I did... I did have to play with the tones alot and change the white balance on the camera...

I would say it's just too light,... there's very little contrast on the B&W making the whole thing look a bit washed out - I'd go as far to say that a couple of tiny places are even on the brink of over exposure, but not massively so.

I think the focus could do with some work,... Composition wise It feels like my eyes aren't sure where to look (well....obviously at the baby!), Those huuuuge eyes are brilliant and could really set the picture alight if you can get the focus nice and sharp...

Difficult picture to light correctly, and in a way that is kind to the little ones eyes :)

It may be a tad light, but more than that, it is what we formerly called a "high-key" photograph. that means that it is made of predominantly light grey tones. However, to look right, one needs a real black somewhere in the picture to anchor the light tones and I don't think that the eyes are enough.

I would say it's just too light,... there's very little contrast on the B&W making the whole thing look a bit washed out - I'd go as far to say that a couple of tiny places are even on the brink of over exposure, but not massively so.

I think the focus could do with some work,... Composition wise It feels like my eyes aren't sure where to look (well....obviously at the baby!), Those huuuuge eyes are brilliant and could really set the picture alight if you can get the focus nice and sharp...

Difficult picture to light correctly, and in a way that is kind to the little ones eyes :)

Yes, the focus is off a tad, I need to work on that with all of my pics. I think I need to get my laptop monitor calibrated-it looked bluish last night and not at all B&W and now (on my desktop) it looks all shades of grey. Thanks for the C&C.

I think the black and white needs to be darker, just a tad though. As said before the focus need to be sharper. Also IMO i think your too close some more head room (space above the head) and more body would be much nicer.

Most reactions

Back