What Kid of bird is this.

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What kind of ugly bird is this? He/She is small bird but to be pissed off.When He/She is on the feeder all the other birds are on the outside looking in.I have some Cardinals coming around the feeder but soon as this little prick shows up they split quickly.It dont look like a cute little sparrow to me.

Sorry for the typo in the title.( Kid) Kind

Attachments

• $IMG_0427.JPG
    $IMG_0427.JPG
    651.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
It appears to be a female House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus). Also, calling them "ugly" is highly subjective.

Thank you Rafterman. This bird is aggressive or territorial.Ok arguably a ugly Bird.

DarkShadow - if you're getting into bird photography (even if its just at your bird table and the odd trip out) have a look around for a bird ID book (I'd suggest one, but I'm UK not USA based so I don't know good publications for US birds). If you can get a modern and good quality one with drawn (not photographed) images to identify birds from you'll find it a great resource. Drawn references are superior to photos for the purposes of ID because drawn animals can be perfect copies which won't show ageing or unique features to the individual. They also present a simpler image to view which is easier to see patterns and shapes upon so that you can then translate them to the photos you have.

Thank you very much Overread and I will do just that.I appreciate the tips.Kind regards.

{Sibley Guide to birds} David Allen Sibley

{Field Guide to birds of north america } Edward S. Brinkley

{Peterson Field Guide to birds} Roger Tory peterson

These 3 books will cover all your birding needs.

I actually find photographs easier to help with identification, particularly when I can view a variety of photographs (adult male, adult female, juvenile, in flight, etc).

My two absolute favorite birding references are the Cornell Institute of Ornithology (their bird ID site is allaboutbirds.org) and Audubon Birds field guide. I use the Audubon app on my phone and love it, because I can sometimes do bird ID while I'm out in the field that way.

By the way, I agree that it looks like a female house finch--and they CAN be aggressive little boogers, especially if they've got a nest nearby--BUT...the one thing that throws me is that it doesn't look like there's much brown streaking on the flanks at all. Could just be that we're not seeing it in this picture.

It's possible it's a female cowbird, which is a little larger than a finch (no size reference in the image)

Wow great info and tips thank you all. Cow bird or finch I dunno but I wish this bird will go away as it literally chase other birds away.

Try setting some branches/twigs nearer to your birdfeeder. This gives birds visiting more potential landing spaces and thus many might only fly to them to then twitter back at the larger bully bird. It also means that you'll have some "natural" perches for the birds that you can frame shots for to give you some natural looking photos

Thanks again Overread! Going outside now and do just that.This is all new to me but learning lots here at TPF

Looks Like I got a lot of choices or just get one of each.

Cornell Institute of Ornithology (their bird ID site is allaboutbirds.org)

:thumbsup: Was going to suggest this site myself. It's a superior reference and I utilize it on a regular basis. Plus it's fun just going from bird-to-bird and listening to the MP3's of their various tweets, chirps, songs and calls.

Most reactions

Back