What kind of camera?!

tabernaclia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Last week, I saw Transsiberian with a friend of mine. One of the characters was an amateur photographer, but she had a relatively nice camera, I think. I don't really know enough about cameras to describe, but it wasn't the little digital camera that one carries around in a purse. It had a decent zoom, and it took clear pictures without a flash. It reminded me of the camera my mother's friend used to use, she was able to take very intimate, candid photos from far away. I have a cheap digital camera now, it's not very good. I can't take any photos without the flash without them being completely indiscernible and blurry. I would like to get a new camera, a better camera. And so I'm looking for advice on a good camera that somewhat fits the description of what I described before.

A camera that takes good quality, clear photos, that can work without a flash.
A decent zoom.
I don't mind if it's larger. Portability really isn't a problem; I would rather lug around a camera that takes awesome photos, than one that fits in my pockets and never pleases me.

What other things should I look for in a camera? Are there things I want that I don't really need? I'm not a photographer by any means, but I do enjoy it. I would be using the camera for personal use. As for the price, I don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars. I would really appreciate any advice, information or suggestions.

Any camera can work without a flash.

Zoom is inherent in the lens (if you're talking about something beyond a base "point & shoot"). If you want an advanced P&S then you're looking at more than a couple hundred dollars for the G and Coolpix series of cameras.

And most importantly, do you have any experience at all with cameras?

While some cameras do take 'awesome photos', much of it is learning about cameras, apertures, shutter speeds, filters, etc etc. And it makes photography a LOT more fun than simply letting the camera do all the work!

Most reactions

Back