What kind of Computer to buy

Macs, they just work, used PC's for years and not a Mac fanboy but Macs are just more reliable and they again just work. Linux, Windows just don't hold up and it is most proficient and gives the least amount of headaches of all 3 OS's and in two years I have yet to have my Mac crash, need any work, had issues or anything else. Its not just the hardware but Mac OS is the most stable, competent OS on the market bar none. You will choose what you will but from a user of all 3 of them you will not go wrong with a Mac period. In time that may change but at this moment Mac should be your choice. I had my wife move to a Mac, I own two, my daughter has one and my sons are the only hold outs but they are gamers and would switch if Mac played the games but not another PC will come into my home unless there is a major change in Windows and or Linux.

I hate that statement. It's one of the most brilliant marketing moves on Apple's part though. "It just works". If that was the case, there wouldn't be Apple forums full of people having problems with their machines.

Hell, I had to go through two MBP's to get one that was almost satisfactory. The first one I got had lines running through the screen and the second one had crooked keys on the board right out of the box. I had the Apple store replace the keyboard, and they still aren't all straight. Plus I pressed the power button on it once and it dropped down into the case. That was on MBP #2. Oh...and the lid has a little curvature when closed...Apple says this is normal.

And you're saying OS X is more stable that Linux? Keep dreaming. They're both based off the UNIX platform and if you actually know how to setup a Linux machine, they're just as stable. The same goes for a Windows installation. In fact, my Vista install has been more reliable than my OS X install. Does that make Vista an inherently more stable system?

I work with all three systems and I haven't touched Jobs's Kool Aid. None of the three major OS's are perfect and some work better than others at certain things (Let's see OS X run a CAD program...). Saying one's superior to the rest, without having extensive knowledge and experience of all of them, is wrong in my book.

For PC or Mac type of questions. I think the very first thing is asking yourself what software you are going to use. If one of the software on your must have list only runs on one platform, not the other, then here you go. Just go with that platform. We use computer to perform tasks. We buy computer and OS is not because we want to use the OS. We want to use the software that runs on the OS. And everybody has different needs for software. A Gamer may need to choose one platform, not the other one.

Long time ago, a bar owner (Windows Fans) need to buy a Mac (even he got few PCs) just because he need to use a Music program (for his business) and it is only available for Mac.

As far as graphics related software, it used to be software usually available on Apple platform only. But not anymore. you can find good graphical software on both platforms now.

If cost is really one of the key factor, Apple may not be the top choice. But some people may want to pay more just to enjoy the user experience if they like the Mac GUI. (I do not own a MAC, but I do like their interface. You know, I like the Linux 3D Desktop interface even more).

The bottom lines is, like choosing between Canon or Nikon, both are good. Choose the one that fit your budget and can perform the task you need.

For PC or Mac type of questions. I think the very first thing is asking yourself what software you are going to use. If one of the software on your must have list only runs on one platform, not the other, then here you go. Just go with that platform. We use computer to perform tasks. We buy computer and OS is not because we want to use the OS. We want to use the software that runs on the OS. And everybody has different needs for software. A Gamer may need to choose one platform, not the other one.
This is good advice. A lot of software will work on Mac and PC, but a lot won't. I do a lot of both photo editing and music production. All of my photo software will work on both platforms, but a lot of my music software won't run on a Mac.

Personally I don't know anything about macs, but I do not have the time to learn a new operating system right now no matter how easy anyone says it might be.
N ow I just bought a computer and my advice for you either you have one custom built or have someone build it for you. This also is a big help with not have a EOS version of windows. They are just a total pain in the butt to me. My next one will be custom built saying that the one I have now Is only 3 months old and I have already replaced almost every part in it due to needing more power. :confused:

I haven't had any problems with my Macbook after two years. It has the normal limitations of a 1.8GHz processor and only a gig of ram, but it's not unbearable. I am moving up to a dual processor tower with a lot more RAM and a way bigger monitor, but not because my Macbook doesn't work. This OS is far more stable than any edition of Windows I have used. I do get the pinwheel of death if I'm running too many apps, and one will freeze, but I've never had the whole OS freeze.

Again, I'll never go back to Windows.

Also, the learning curve on a Mac takes about 45 minutes to learn coming from a PC, where a person going from Mac to PC would probably take a week. Mac OS is intended to be simple and user friendly by design.

Also, the learning curve on a Mac takes about 45 minutes to learn coming from a PC, where a person going from Mac to PC would probably take a week. Mac OS is intended to be simple and user friendly by design.
This is a ridiculous statement.

Hey atsee, Just buy the Mac!! Leopard blows away vista or xp!

The Mac is more intuitive, rock solid against viruses and spyware ( you won't have to worry about buying a virus protection program), the mac will very rarely crash (mine never did in 4 yrs.), plus it boots up in a 3rd of the time of the pc.

Stop in to an Apple store and see for yourself how serious this company is about service. They are the best!! Spend a few bucks more, and get what you pay for. Tommy

Hey atsee, Just buy the Mac!! Leopard blows away vista or xp!

The Mac is more intuitive, rock solid against viruses and spyware ( you won't have to worry about buying a virus protection program), the mac will very rarely crash (mine never did in 4 yrs.), plus it boots up in a 3rd of the time of the pc.

Stop in to an Apple store and see for yourself how serious this company is about service. They are the best!! Spend a few bucks more, and get what you pay for. Tommy

If all you want to do is graphic processing/manipulation ... go Mac.

If you want to do other things ... go PC.

Price diff between Mac-PC is more then a few bucks. This really doesn't make any sense now that Apple use the same CPU as "Microsoft based PCs"

Very true about virus and such. But then if you do not surf "questionable websites", you should not have any problems.

Personally, a PC gives me too much flexibility to ever go back to using a Mac.

I build my own machines that way I get what I want. But I do run XP. I agree with Sabbath on Vista, I consider it to be the new Me. To me MAcs are no more intuitive than Windows, it depends on what you are used to. I like to play games too and, how many games does mac play now in its native system?

the term Windoze says it all......I got my Mac Pro 15 months ago and have never looked back.....while I paid through the nose for the Mac, it was worth every penny...the Apple "i" applications work together and allow you to build powerful media, from photo to dvd to movie end products, all from within a standard Mac software bundle....

once you go Mac you will never go back :)

Price diff between Mac-PC is more then a few bucks. This really doesn't make any sense now that Apple use the same CPU as "Microsoft based PCs"

hehehe... there's more to a computer than just a CPU.

By your statement, a $10k server class AMD Solaris box is no different than a PC. still a machine with PC based CPU (AMD).

Ive been on a mac, since I was a kid in the 80s, started on a macintosh+. WOOOHOOOO Math Blaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

I had never used an actual PC with an regularity until 2003 when I got my 1st real job(all my other PC work was a project here type a paper there sort of thing).

Now that Ive been using PCs alot at work(im on one now) I understand them and have no problems using them, no viruses, no spyware, no real issues(minus our suckass network here and trying to connect to a printer or scanner is a beeotch but thats another story).

But at home im on a mac mini, it was cheap, its robust, I had a monitor given to me and I already had the keyboard and mouse from my eMac. I currently dual boot it with XP Pro for an RC flight sim program to learn to fly RC helis. I havent booted up in XP in a month or so.

My next computer which is a ways down the road at this point, will be a Mac tower of some sort.

I have nothing against PCs and I do have a Laptop in my house that runs XP Pro as well. If I ever had to choose just one it would be a Mac because its what I know best.

If you feel comfortable building your own computer and have the time to streamline your windows operating system of choice, then I see almost no good reason to go with a mac. For the same cost you could bump a single processor up to a dual processor, quadruple your memory, and get a raid array with several terabytes of storage. The imac is just a laptop in a permanent desk stand, and the mac pro, for a half reasonable system starts you at $4500. To match a $4500 custom built pc you would need to spend about $10,000.

I have not had any problem with viruses and have never experienced any system instability. As long as you just run the processes that are necessary, even vista does not bog down your computer too much.

There is equivalent software for each system, but the pc offers a much wider variety.

So what more could you want? better hardware, more software, and stability. Unless you want a mac specific program like Final Cut Pro, why go mac?

Most reactions

Back