What kind of Computer to buy

Like when a bunch of people with smaller studios were basically screwed when they upgraded to Leopard because their softward and hardware that they use for recording wasn't supported...and afaik, they just got the updates pushed maybe a month ago.

This is mainstream stuff too.

Anyone ever hear of Pro Tools?

That's one reason I'm still running Tiger. I almost upgraded, but I couldn't afford to have some one come in for a recording session just to turn them away because my MBP wouldn't "just work".

There's points to defend and attack every post in here.

There is a way in windows to disable the delayed writes (in buffer) to external USB devices. Pretty much makes every write operation commit to the USB device immediately. This will allow you to remove USB devices without having to first eject.

The disadvantage is that you will loose performance.

Unfortunately, I'm having a brain cramp this morning and can't seem to remember the procedure to turn it off.

Like when a bunch of people with smaller studios were basically screwed when they upgraded to Leopard because their softward and hardware that they use for recording wasn't supported...and afaik, they just got the updates pushed maybe a month ago.

That's one reason I'm still running Tiger. I almost upgraded, but I couldn't afford to have some one come in for a recording session just to turn them away because my MBP wouldn't "just work".

That's why for any business or mission critical systems you always WAIT before deploying major updates because there are always going to be quirks and bugs to address. Same thing with brand spanking new cars which always have more issues than the same exact car does 1-2 years later when they finally get the kinks worked out. Even brand spanking new cellular phone models have more issues than the same thing 6 months later. Some people just gotta have 'teh latest' all the time, and it bites them in the butt almost as much.

I don't argue your points, hence, why I wait a few months on all releases to see what gremlins come out of the woodwork......granted Apple does not always have its total act together on new releases, but day in and day out continuous operation, I'll take the Mac without its constant barrage of security & software/virus & spyware definitions updates that end up to be major resource hogs..........

I don't argue your points, hence, why I wait a few months on all releases to see what gremlins come out of the woodwork......granted Apple does not always have its total act together on new releases, but day in and day out continuous operation, I'll take the Mac without its constant barrage of security & software/virus & spyware definitions updates that end up to be major resource hogs..........

Another stereotype bordering on a fanboy comment. I've ran Vista Ultimate on my Dell notebook since February 2007 with no AV. I've also not had any required updates that have gotten in the way and certainly have seen one in the past 8 months.

I've had more system updates that I've had to do on my Apple machine than on my Vista notebook.

I guess no one took the time to read the post that said think before you start talking about sterotypes and generalizations.

:lol:
good for you.....have a wonderful day

Good Grief!!! I can't believe this thread has gone on this long!

Message to OP: Buy the Mac ... and be done with it. You know that's what you really wanted to do all along ...

my advice would be to get an iMac. If you look at the windows alternatives to am iMac, its really not any more expensive than a pc.

I would advise not to get a under 1000doller computer, they typicaly are more trouble than theyre worth...

Get a mac!!!!!

hehehe... there's more to a computer than just a CPU.

By your statement, a $10k server class AMD Solaris box is no different than a PC. still a machine with PC based CPU (AMD).

Not fair to compare different class of computers and that is what you do when you compare a "server" with something we use at home.

Also "server" class hardware is different from the stuff we use at home - most noticeable problem (to me) being severely weak graphic card limiting WoW experience!! :lol:

A Mac today is no different then the IBMs of 25 years ago that were going for over $5000. It is a "brand" that only Apple can manufacturer. Apple has some nice tricks in regard to way they handle code instructions which make Macs faster for graphic applications - at least they were 15 years ago when I last touched one :) Do not know if Macs can maintain this advantage without RISC chips - they use the same Intel ones used in "PCs".

I'm not anti-Mac, I just do not think anyone need to spend that kind of money unless they only want to do graphics. Especially, if they eventually want to do other things.

Get a $500-$1000 PC. That should be a savings of about $500 for a Mac with same capabilities. Save that $500 for better glass :thumbup:

Not fair to compare different class of computers and that is what you do when you compare a "server" with something we use at home.

Also "server" class hardware is different from the stuff we use at home - most noticeable problem (to me) being severely weak graphic card limiting WoW experience!! :lol:

A Mac today is no different then the IBMs of 25 years ago that were going for over $5000. It is a "brand" that only Apple can manufacturer. Apple has some nice tricks in regard to way they handle code instructions which make Macs faster for graphic applications - at least they were 15 years ago when I last touched one :) Do not know if Macs can maintain this advantage without RISC chips - they use the same Intel ones used in "PCs".

I'm not anti-Mac, I just do not think anyone need to spend that kind of money unless they only want to do graphics. Especially, if they eventually want to do other things.

Another stereotype. I know of Mac gamers. Also, I record bands and other artist with my MBP.

Get a $500-$1000 PC. That should be a savings of about $500 for a Mac with same capabilities. Save that $500 for better glass :thumbup:
All of that advantage goes away once you figure in all of the extras in Mac OS X that Windows doesn't include at any price, and the stuff that you don't need in Mac that you do in Windows, such as...

- Adobe PDF writer built-in to Mac, which I consider essential. Not essential, but it's extremely useful and the full professional version of Acrobat for windows to let you do the same thing isn't cheap.

- Built-in color calibration utilities. Saves another hundred or two or three right there, and this is essential for photography.

- No antivirus needed, and these things have yearly $80 subscriptions. that adds up over time. Even if you can get it for free through your ISP, it still drags down your system performance and hogs up resources.

- No anti-spam/spy/whatever-ware filtration software needed.

- If you get an iMac, the screen is outstanding for photography and has very good and neutral color. PC screens can be all over the map, and some are so bad that they can't even be calibrated properly for photography.

That's the big stuff, but there's more, and it all adds up. Oh yeah, the free iWork package, and numerous other packages within Mac OS X that have no equivalent in Windows that you'd have to buy additional software for as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back