What kind of light bulbs should I use?

Strobes are measured in watt seconds, yes. The smallest monolight you'll find I think is a 400WS strobe. That is plenty for studio portraiture. You need more wattage when you start shooting groups, or going outdoors and lighting large areas.

thanks for the help...

do y'all know anyplace where I can learn the basics of strobe lighting?

does it work with umbrellas (this is a total newbie question, I'm sure)?

Starlite said:
do y'all know anyplace where I can learn the basics of strobe lighting?

What Matt says.

does it work with umbrellas (this is a total newbie question, I'm sure)?

Yes, and through them too. And with softboxes, snoots, barndoors, gels, pola gels, etc. etc.

However, since I don't have a fixed studio and (because I) spend more than 50% of my time on location, for mobility, I have a 'portable studio'. It basically consists of 3 wireless 5600D flashguns on tripods, a 3' and a 4' silver/white reflector. Gives me plenty 'oomph' and endlessly variable possibilities, including faking 'softboxes' and balancing shadows. Easily fits a medium-sized suitcase.
When working with people as subjects I mostly use the camera unsupported. Flash freezes motion anyway, and it keeps me much 'free-er' to move around, direct the scene, try different viewpoints and angles, and/or adjust the light.

I submit a 'portable studio' like mine is much more flexible than a fixed studio flash set and is therefore used much more often.
The downside is that you have no modelling light. But hey! this is the digital age so you just do a test shot and look whether you like the light setup as is.

Here is a site with some good info on portraiture and flash.

There are many different brands of strobes and different ways to go about it. W. Smith's set up, using smaller flash units is very portable. Bigger units are more powerful but need more power so they need to be plugged in to an outlet or portable power source.

Alien Bee lights get at lot of attention on Internet forums. They offer pretty good lights at a pretty good price. The same company also makes a higher end brand, White Lighting.

I have one Alien Bee light and I think it's pretty good. For now, I use that light along with smaller portable flash units...but I plan to get more studio lights.

Matt and/or Mike,
how about the color temp of those modelling lights? Surely those aren't 2800K, are they?

(anyway not an issue for my setup with flashguns).

W.Smith said:
Yes: they sell continuous lighting there, so their 'information' is UNreliable by definition.

First off, they sell BOTH continuous lighting AND strobe lighting, so why must you assume "oh yeah they're just sayin that to sell you some stuff"?

I appreciate it if you are trying to help me, but that doesn't sound like help to me. Did you checkout the link and what they said?

I'm still trying to learn and do research, but I thought this forum was a good place for that.......

So far, I've got 3 dudes who are shooting down continuous lighting, but these opinions sound pretty biased and unobjective to me.

I'm just a newbie, and my mind is WIDE open, but just because I don't know about photography and lighting doesn't mean I am a dummy.

Is there anyone out there who can provide some opinions about strobe versus continuous lighting, and perhaps provide a little detail or reasoning if you are going to shoot down one method or the other?

I'm totally confused as to which direction to go in, and I would just like to get some help so that I can purchase some beginner equipment, in order to experiment and learn.

and I'm sorry if I'm coming across unappreciative, but I'm a newbie, and I'm frustrated...

I would think that a forum such as this, would have a link to some basics regarding what kind of lighting for portrait shooting!

I mean, this is pretty much the basics right? So why do I get the feeling that there is so much confusion and differeing views on the issue?

I really do appreciate when someone takes the time to respond with their feedback, but I also don't want to just blindly follow someone's opinion, simply because I'm a beginner.

I would like to be able to hear the basics about the issue (lighting), so that I can become informed, in order to make a decision.

Maybe getting some good books and or taking a class would be a better learning tool for you.

There are some things that are easy to teach/learn in a forum type setting...and there are some things that are not so easy.

There are plenty of instructional type sites around (which aren't trying to sell you something)...I'm thinking that you might benefit more from doing some reading on those types of sites.

If you have more specific questions, that's where a forum can come in very handy.

Any good links to those instructional sites?

I mean, what kind of lighting to use should be like one of the most basic issues discussed, so it just puzzles me why I get so many mixed messages...

and if it is something that can't be explained on a post for whatever reason, then why would there not be a link to that information somewhere on this site?

I mean, when a forum says "BEGINNERS Place", a person is going to think this is a place to come to ask a question when they are a beginner.

If those of you who are the veterans or the admin staff aren't able to provide info to a very BASIC question, then why wouldn't you at least have a certain link or article posted somewhere??

Am I really asking for too much, when I ask "what kind of lighting should I use"?

Is that a question I shouldn't bring up in a forum?

Yes, I know that there is a library with books on the subject - thank you! but if I wanted to go down to the library to read an entire book on the subject, then I guess I wouldn't need to come to a forum at all then!!!

The whole purpose of a forum is to help people out with the basics of a certain topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't the first forum I've ever posted....

but it IS the first forum I've ever posted, where I can't get a straight answer on some BASIC information.

and I'm sorry, but it's really frustrated me.

In other forums I post on, where I know the topic really well, it isn't anything for me to explain or provide the basics for those who are newbies.

Maybe I'm missing something..

You may not be getting the answers you want because you are looking for a very simple, one line answer for a very complicated issue. Different photographers like useing different lighting. If you already have the continuous lighting kit you should try it out. Get some 500 Watt flood bulbs and find a model to take test shots. If you don't get the look you want, then move on the the strobe. I have used continuous lighting for a while now for portraits and get pretty good results. In addition to using the lights I also use my camera's flash to give me that little bit extra fill.

Hi Wolff, and thanks for the feedback.

So you are using continuous lighting and it is working pretty well for you. It's good to hear another side of this issue.

Previously, I was being told flatly, that unless I used strobe lighting, it wouldn't work.

Now I am not looking for a "very simple" or "one word" answer.... no not at all. What I am looking for is some basic feedback/information, so that I can proceed, by getting some lighting.

On a side note, may I ask you a question about using your camera's flash? When I've tried using my camera's flash (and also on other cameras), it may times makes the person seem overly pale.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back