kshioe umbrella lights

ckburke1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, I just bought the kshioe umbrella light kit for 35.00. I didnt realize the bulbs are only 45 watts and its very hard to take a portrait because the lights are very dim. I tried to put a different bulb in and it wouldnt turn on. I need a way higher wattage but I'm afraid of buying two and then they wont work. I read the bulbs have an e27 base, color temp 5500k daylight, and blbs are rates 110v and usinf 220v bulbs will pop if used. Does that mean im stuck with the crappy low light bulbs? This is all new to me.
Thanks,
Courtney B.

Sent from my LM-V350 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Does that mean im stuck with the crappy low light bulbs?
Unless you can send them back for a refund, then I'm afraid so.

What you need for portraiture is flash. The umbrellas you have might work with flash, but the continuous lighting just isn't optimal for portraiture. Sorry.

Does that mean im stuck with the crappy low light bulbs?
Unless you can send them back for a refund, then I'm afraid so.

What you need for portraiture is flash. The umbrellas you have might work with flash, but the continuous lighting just isn't optimal for portraiture. Sorry.
Thanks for responding. Are there a fairly cheap brand of flashes for portraiture? I'm new to portraits and indoor lighting. I'm pretty damned poor until I graduate. I just need something to get me through until I can get more money.

Are there a fairly cheap brand of flashes for portraiture?
Flahpoint with is Adorama's brand of Godox studio flash. Some have a built-in radio trigger which saves you the expense to buying a separate trigger system.

Don't forget the light stands and modifiers.

This might look expensive at first, but consider what you're getting for the money.

From this page you can go to "monolights" to find the Flashpoint monolights.

https://www.adorama.com/c/Lighting-and-Studio

Continous light bulbs paired with umbrellas are okay for still life/product shots,but are less than ideal for most other types of photo subjects.

I'm pretty damned poor until I graduate. I just need something to get me through until I can get more money.
About the least expensive option is to purchase a used speedlight, a long cord, and a new stand and umbrella. You can make some perfectly acceptable portraits with just one light.

A speedlight figure about $100 for a new off brand, less for used.
long cord I haven't priced those lately maybe $25 (?)
new stand, bracket and umbrella maybe $50 for all. (+ -)

Shop carefully.

I'm pretty damned poor until I graduate. I just need something to get me through until I can get more money.
About the least expensive option is to purchase a used speedlight, a long cord, and a new stand and umbrella. You can make some perfectly acceptable portraits with just one light.

A speedlight figure about $100 for a new off brand, less for used.
long cord I haven't priced those lately maybe $25 (?)
new stand, bracket and umbrella maybe $50 for all. (+ -)

Shop carefully.
Thank you :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back