What kind of sync cords do I need?

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do I need, to get my lens hooked up to my wireless flash sync? Alien Bees with Paul C. Buff wireless trigger.

27717976_10215591577608660_1056760541_n.jpg

Dunno but if it's a standard PC-to-PC cord, it should work. Just make sure the lens-side contact is clean. Usually a toothpick an a bit of isopropyl on the lens contact. Test, test and test some more...

That does NOT look like a PC connector.
This is when you need the old guys who know the old gear.

Looks like you need a female bi-post connector.

That does NOT look like a PC connector.
This is when you need the old guys who know the old gear.
It is very definitely a PC connector below the synch selector and what looks like an archaic connector above the synch selector. Looks to date from the 1950s which is also suggested by the X, M and F options for flash synch. You will need to set the selector to X or the flash will fire before the shutter opens.

Here is the connector below the synch selector in the OP's photo (which he states is OK to edit):
op_zpsrtwggcjs.jpg

It appears to be threaded so I think it's a cable release socket, not a flash socket. But, there may be a PC connector elsewhere on that shutter.

The image below shows a standard PC connector:
Flash synchronization - Wikipedia

There are 2 kinds of bi-post connectors that I've seen. The kind with smooth posts like on the OP's lens and this other kind:
bipost_zpsrvxyipnp.jpg

I don't know if the same connectors fit both types but hopefully they do.

You see these bi-post connectors on American cameras and shutters. The PC (Prontor-Compur) connectors are of European origin but you also find them on American equipment.

Last edited:
That threaded port would be for the cable release

The lens is a 10” Kodak Commercial Ektar in an Ilex #4 shutter.

Thank you all for the help :)

Ok so I bought the two sync cords so I could run the trigger for my strobes. The sync cords go from bi-post to pc male, pc female to 3.5mm jack. The problem is that the PCB trigger uses a 2.5mm jack (thought it was 3.5). I found a 3.5 female to 2.5 male adapter but I wanted to check with you all and see if this would work before I purchased it.

Metra 2.5mm Male - 3.5mm Female Adapter

Or would I be able to buy a hot shoe and ditch the second sync cord and plug the PC end into the hot shoe and run my trigger that way?

The Metra adapter you linked to is for stereo audio purposes. It has 3 terminals -- left channel, right channel and ground. I don't know what type of plug the PCB unit requires but I don't think it would be a stereo plug though it might work. You'd have to ask them, if possible.

Your second suggestion seems simpler.

I was told that as long as its a TRS, it should work. I guess I'll find out tonight haha

IMG_23602.JPG

Most reactions

Back