What kind of Tripod?

ricepudding

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a tripod for indoor shooting such as in hospital rooms (for birth photography). I'm looking for something small that I can lean on furniture like a tabletop tripod. But I've never shopped tripods before and don't know what I'm looking for. The tabletops don't seem too expensive and if that's the case I want something fairly high quality if it matters for the shot anyway. What should I be looking for in this sort of tripod? And can you give me any links to recommendations?

Thanks!!

Perhaps a monopod would be more what you're looking for. If by tabletop, you mean those little 6 inch things with springy legs, I'd say it's a waste. Would you really put a $10 piece of crap to support a $700-1000+ camera on? When you say birth photography, I would assume you're talking about doing it for others and charging, no? And that would indicate you should be shooting w/ something more professional than a P+S camera.

I was once in your position, when i first needed a tripod, i was looking at the following site, which includes a whole page of mini reviews of smaller based tripods.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/mini_tripods_from_minitripods_com_review

Its very informative, and has specs and price range for each as well as links where you can buy it from, do check it out, i for one recieved a Manfrotto 190X PROB for Christmas, and im loving it

Perhaps a monopod would be more what you're looking for. If by tabletop, you mean those little 6 inch things with springy legs, I'd say it's a waste. Would you really put a $10 piece of crap to support a $700-1000+ camera on? When you say birth photography, I would assume you're talking about doing it for others and charging, no? And that would indicate you should be shooting w/ something more professional than a P+S camera.

I'm shooting with a D80, I'm not sure what 6 inch things with springy legs are......is that what you call a small tripod? Yes, birth photography, I'm currently a doula and would like to take some shots in the room. When I think I'm good enough I would do some births just for photography alone, not doula work and yes, charge for it.

I took a peek at monopods. They seem more expensive!? Maybe. Can you give me some guidance here? I didn't want to spend over $60 for this right now.

Thanks,

Alicia

I'm thinking along the same lines as Johnboy, that a monopod is worth a look. Considering the environment you'll be shooting in and the nature of activities, the last thing you want to be is in the way. With a monopod you will have great maneuverability and create a small footprint. I would think this may also lessen the anxiety of the staff as they must anticipate possible options of the room. Emergencies do occur.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Johnboy, that a monopod is worth a look. Considering the environment you'll be shooting in and the nature of activities, the last thing you want to be is in the way. With a monopod you will have great maneuverability and create a small footprint. I would think this may also lessen the anxiety of the staff as they must anticipate possible options of the room. Emergencies do occur.

At BHPhoto monopods are anywhere from $15 to $400. What special features should I be looking for? Can I get something reasonable for $60 or less or should I just not bother at this point to look if I can't spend more?

Been in that situation a few times already. I don't think it will be a good idea to setup a tripod. If anything the hospital will find it a hazard and not allow it.

Monopod is the best suggestion. The Neotec monopods are quick and one handed... a little pricey.

I sorta went on the cheap for this one at $32. It fit my needs by folding short (15.4") and would slide in a catch on my camera bag. The rubber top that covers the stud is a bit fussy and I will eventually upgrade, but I'm in no hurry.

For $60 you can get a nicer one though.

I wouldn't say that is "cheap"... Bogen/manfrotto make good products.

Just make sure that it is rated for the weight you will put on it. In the case of the one Kundalini picked.. 2.2lbs (1kg)

Some people also prefer to put a quick release head on their monopod. Just something to consider.

I'm trying to look these over but honestly they seem a little tall. I mainly want something to steady my shot for blurry shake issues when I'm not using flash. And I will try to stay away from flash most of the time so I don't disturb Mom/Doctors. I just want a tripod/monopod to set on an end table or the little food tray they pull up to the bed. Many of these monopods say their folded length is 15 to 25 inches. And I'm assuming open they are at least a couple inches higher. I only need something that has a range of 10 to 20 inches tall most of the time. If it goes taller that is fine but the smaller heights are what I'm looking for.

I wouldn't say that is "cheap"... Bogen/manfrotto make good products.

Just make sure that it is rated for the weight you will put on it. In the case of the one Kundalini picked.. 2.2lbs (1kg)

Some people also prefer to put a quick release head on their monopod. Just something to consider.

I didn't mean that Manfrotto was cheap at all. I've also got a very nice set of Manfrotto legs and a ball head that I think are wonderful. The mono that I got was cheap *read inexpensive* relative to price and specs of what I now know. At the time of purchase I didn't anticipate having lenses that weigh 2.0, 3.1 & 3.2 lbs each plus a TC as well as the camera body. It has yet to collapse on me though, which say something for build quality.

ricepudding, I'm assuming tables in the hospital rooms are on casters. Even with locks on the casters, I would not consider that to be a stable surface.

I am 5'-10". Max height on my pod is 57". Add the camera and the viewfinder will be very near my eye standing. I crane my neck ever so slightly.

I would not trust a $1000+ camera on a roll around hospital bed tray. There has to be a better and safer (for everyone) way to steady your camera.

I have the Manfrotto 680B and got the Quick release head for it as I have a similar head on my Manfrotto tripod. Total cost was under 100$ Really like it. With 4 sections, you can make it any height you want. My only complaint, is that I wish that the foot tip let me connect a shoulder strap. How does everyone else carry their mono? Should I start another thread for this question?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back