What lens filter color should I use?

RUSTYSH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm kinda new to photography. What lens filter color would I need to use to block out the color green? I am trying to take a picture of a person standing in front of trees and bushes, and want to mute out some or all of the background green colors while still being able to see some of the color of the person. Would a red or magenta filter accomplish this? Or is this even possible?
Thanks for all your help.

If you want to block a color, use a filter on the opposite side of the color wheel.

So using a red filter would block the green light. This will darken the greens. Not sure if this is what you mean my 'muting' the green.

Personally, I'd forgo using a filter altogether as many editing programs allow you to perform the same effect digitally in post.

This is one (rare) time I'm going to agree that something is better done in the pixel-room rather than in-camera. You could block some of the green in an image by using a red filter (the amount will vary with the intensity of the filter), but as Sparky stated, this task will be much more accurately accomplished in the computer.

With a filter on the lens, everything in the scene that has any green tone would be affected, not just the background.

As mentioned, by using image editing software post process you would have much greater control.

Of course if you are shooting film, the image would have to be scanned and digitized to use image editing software to edit the image.

Are you shooting b&w? If so, a filter helps on camera. If not, your subject will become red, which may not be the desired effect. If it's not B&W, a computer is hte best place to do this

Most reactions

New Topics

Back