what lens for portrait

Two shots, you decide which one makes my nose look bigger :mrgreen: 50mm f 2 @ Cheers, Don

The first one is not enough of a close up to get the affect I was talking about.

Distortion
When you use a wide angle lens, which is also known as a short lens, you have to get closer to your subject to fill the frame. This causes things to become distorted. Things in the foreground look very large and things in the background look very small. Usually this translates into our subjects looking like they have big noses or odd shaped bodies.

Last edited:
There you have it. You'll get lots of folks telling you to use a normal lens (50mm), but any seasoned pro will advise you to use a short telephoto lens. At this point, I recommed a 85mm lens.

I think it is less a factor of "seasoned pro's" recommendation and more to do with experience that empowers one to know which focal length will achieve the look you are striving. Case in point... there is a recent discussion that shows how one can leverage a fairly wide angle to obtain a unique portrait.. with nice examples posted. My point being... the goal should drive lens selection not lens selection driving the goal.

Personally, I switch between the 50 and 85 for portraits... If forced to choose one, I like slightly more compression and working distance thus a slightly longer than normal lens.

I think it is less a factor of "seasoned pro's" recommendation and more to do with experience...

season*(transitive verb)*cause somebody to gain experience:*to cause or enable somebody to gain experience and become more skilled, or to gain toughness and strength

Or, simply put: "seasoned" = "experienced"

-Pete

Last edited:
...which on a 1.6x sensor is what happens to a 50mm lens.

Actually, I figured that in. I was suggesting he get closer to 105mm equivalent.

But I agree with Pete, typically the 80 - 85mm range is great. I've shot some of my best portraits with the Canon 100mm macro lens.

I think the 85mm would be great for full-length portraits, but I use the 100mm for that too if I have room. Here I have to agree with you... my best portrait work is with the Canon 100mm.

I've made several thousand portaits... the vast majority with a lens that is twice the normal focal length for the format.

-Pete

Kewl, if age is the rage I'm your man! :D

But what of n00b oldsters? :p

Wow what great feedback thanks for the info....

No.... the important word is "seasoned." Don't put words in my mouth.

Isn't that what i"m saying??? I'm essentially saying that experience outweighs pro versus non-pro. Sheesh...

I'm trying to get you to see past "seasoned" == experience and look at the word "pro". Pro versus non-pro has nothing to do with experience. Perhaps you are too caught up in trying to start a fight.

No... no interest here in fighting. I just want to be precise.

Pro

I clicked the link and I think it's trying to tell me, is that professional prostitutes are experienced. Was that what you guys are heatedly discussing?

I think you both are right... experienced or not, a prostitute... is a prostitute. :lol: :lol:

I have to vouch for the older Canon 28-70L. They can be picked up for not too much. It's a nice fast lens and the length is a really nice stretch for most portrait situations.

Most reactions

Back