What lens?

mrbeachbum2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a nikon d90 with a nifty fifty. I love shooting the skyline and scenic photos. What lens should I consider? I'd like to stay at or below 500. I've been looking at tameron 10-24mm or 18-270 mm. Not sure how good these are, there are mixed reviews.

What lenses should I consider?

Sigma 10-20mm with the variable aperture is $470 for the Nikon mount. Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is $600 but is a great super-wide angle lens. I plan on getting the Tokina for my Canon eventually.. hopefully.

But I'm not big into Nikon gear so I can't help much.

All you have is the 50mm right now? Or do you have a kit lens that zooms?

it seems like you are looking for a landscape lens. I am currently in the same boat and am considering the Tokina 12-24 F4 $400, 12-24 F4 II $500, and as mentioned the tokina 11-16 F2.8 $600.

based on some reviews the 11-16 is sharper than the 12-24, but it may be too wide and not enough zoom.

I have the sigma 10-20 and shoot it on my 40 and 50 D's and love what it does on a cropped sensor! Build quality is legit and HSM Motor is spot on! For the money I am impressed... I am sure the Nikon mount copy is just as good... Never owned a Tokina so I can't speak on it... Happy shoppin!

Thanks guys, I bought body only.

Would I be disappointed that I didn't get one of the traditional zoom lens if I went with a wide angle landscape?

I would recommend you get at least one all around versatile lens. I always thought the 18-200 would be an awesome lens to have. But I suppose you don't need one if you are going to buy several nice pieces of glass that will give you the range that you want. like a 10-20 a 70-200 maybe something in the middle there. Depends what you're shooting.

I would recommend you get at least one all around versatile lens. I always thought the 18-200 would be an awesome lens to have. But I suppose you don't need one if you are going to buy several nice pieces of glass that will give you the range that you want. like a 10-20 a 70-200 maybe something in the middle there. Depends what you're shooting.

also its $800, unless picked up used.

Would I be disappointed that I didn't get one of the traditional zoom lens if I went with a wide angle landscape?

thought you said you had the 50 too?

sigma 10-20 or tokina 11-16.

Sorry, I meant I went with the body only option and not their zoom lenses. I did get the 50 mm.

How would the sigma 10-20 mm and tokina 11-16 mm compare to lets say the tamron 18-270 mm? I feel like I'd also may need some zoom. After this, I probably will not be purchasing a lens for a while.

Sorry, I meant I went with the body only option and not their zoom lenses. I did get the 50 mm.

How would the sigma 10-20 mm and tokina 11-16 mm compare to lets say the tamron 18-270 mm? I feel like I'd also may need some zoom. After this, I probably will not be purchasing a lens for a while.
The Tokina 18-270 wouldn't compare at all.

Any zoom lens is a collection of design compromises. The greater the zoom range, the larger the collection of design compromises.

At a 15X zoom range there are few lenses that have as much design compromise baggage as the 18-270.

KMH speaks the truth.

for IQ, it's best to go with smaller incriments.

TBH...the kit 18-55 or th 18-70 aint all that bad. they give you a bit more range, are super cheap, and pretty damn good at 18mm. idk a thing about the 18-105 kit, but thats even more range, and may not be bad at the short end either.

I do think they are saying that.

Also be aware that the smaller the focal length a lens has the more distorted the image is going to be. Skyline may have a curve to it at 10mm.

Some things to think about - you have a 50mm now, you might gain something by buying a small focal length zoom. How much you'll gain is dependant on how often you would use the lens. You may be just as happy with the 50mm lens and stepping back 10 feet. Do you find at times you need more focal length? If yes, then maybe you should look into a longer focal length zoom.

Personally I like zooms but I know they have limitations. I bought the D90 with the kit lens along with the 70 - 300 so I would have decent lenses and have 95% of whatever I need covered.

I like my Tokina 16-50 F2.8. Its fast, its fairly wide, and it would be versatile for other uses like portraits and street shooting. If you want something ONLY for wide landscapes, get the Tokina 11-16. I have heard that due to its short zoom range, it retains great sharpness throughout. Its also fast f/2.8.

Most reactions

Back