What lenses can the Nikon D1 use?

samac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello i recently purchase a Nikon D1 body off of ebay, and i'm looking to purchase my first lens. My main question is how do i know which lenses are compatible with this model, and which would be a good first choice. I am on a limited budget so below 200 i would prefer, and having some choices would be nice. Thank you all for your assistance :mrgreen:

The D1 has the AF motor built in the body, so any Nikon or nikon compatible AF lens will work except the lenses made for the Nikon Pronea. That being said, look for lenses that are "D" or "G" type lenses. The "D" type have an aperture ring which you can manually adjust. The "G" type have no aperture ring. AF-S type lenses will also work, but they have the focus assist motor built into the lens and are generally a bit more expensive. Manual focus lenses can also be used

Ai, AI-S, AF, AF-D, AF-i, AF-S, and G-series Nikkors will all work on the D1. So, basically most Nikkor lenses made from 1977 to 2010 will work on the D1.
All of the autofocusing Nikkor lenses will work on the D1.

Ai, AI-S, AF, AF-D, AF-i, AF-S, and G-series Nikkors will all work on the D1. So, basically most Nikkor lenses made from 1977 to 2010 will work on the D1.
All of the autofocusing Nikkor lenses will work on the D1.

Except the Pronea lenses which were designated with IX I believe. The back of the lens protrubes out into the camera and will damage the mirror. Don't think theres too many of these still floating around but I do see them on e-bay occasionally

And except for a handful of obscure lenses listed in the camera manual which never had great compatibility in the first place.

so i ended up ordering the stock 18-55 mm for 90 on ebay free shipping, and i still have some money left over.. what do you think a good second lens would be when i can afford it? under 240 if possible please :)

I'm curious as to why you decided to go with a D1. How much was it, if you don't mind me asking.

I'm curious as to why you decided to go with a D1. How much was it, if you don't mind me asking.

i payed 90 dollars with the charger, battery, strap and 1gb CF

If you plan on keeping it for a bit you may want to pick up 1 or 2 aftermarket batteries. The D1 series battery life is about 300 or so shots between charges. As for another lens that you can pick up cheap, maybe a 70-300 G AF. The older ones without VR are selling fairly cheap on e-bay.

Hopefully, you are aware that though it is unusual for a DSLR, the D1 uses the NTSC color space instead of the conventional sRGB or Adobe RGB color spaces.

The resulting image colors from the D1 can be a bit unorthodox, but methods of correcting and/or compensating for the color problem are readily available if it winds up being an issue for you.

Most reactions

Back