what lighting+flash used on these?

ttr48

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
photographs by Martin Schoeller

Can anyone suggest the flash & lighting used to achieve this look?

thanks

2 rectangular soft boxes, one on either side of the camera and centered (or nearly so) on the camera's horizontal axis and angeled down a bit. (my best guess anyway)

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Look in the eyes (the reflections show the general shape and position of the lights), and notice the slight shadow under the chin (meaning that the softboxes are just high enough to allow the slight, essential, chin shadow to form). Then look at the back of the head and the hair, for any sign of light coming from the back (nothing visible).

Best,
Helen

Thanks very much for all the info.

Also some camera details since this isn't a normal looking headshot. He's used a medium to wide lens and gotten close, rather than a long lens from some distance.

I've been reading The Strobist Blog Spot, and only after one day I'm glad to say I thought the same as you guys with the lighting before rading your replies :D

Definitely a site worth reading.

However, would I be right in adding that Mr Clinton and Jack Nicholson have some back lighting going on, where as Dustin Hoffman is further away from the background with the exposure set on him to under expose the background slightly?

That's Robert De Niro, just fyi.

I really must start reading strobist...

As great as these shots are, I believe showing them instead of linking them goes against the rules of this site.

However clearly two soft boxes, and I'd say a low ceiling rather than backlighting, since the hairline isn't accentuated towards the bottom, that's probably just light bouncing up and behind.

Most reactions

Back